I have 7 chickens, would you add a duck or two?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by traceyj, Dec 28, 2014.

1. traceyj

traceyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    And if so which breed for consistent (but not every day) egg laying, and cold hardy in central bc where it can get below -30.

Pretty would be a bonus but not required. Oh and do they absolutely have to have water to paddle in? To be happy? Or are there any that will be ok with just having water in the spring summer and fall? (We freeze up quite quickly here! )

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Female ducks, probably would be fine, though they are very different with water and you may need to separate their waterers. They don't eat quite the same as chickens, but if you have deep enough trays of food that ought to work.

I don't have chickens, so I am recalling things I have read here.

I provide swim water as I can - in some of the colder winters, the ducks do without swim, but I make sure every morning they have a fresh three-gallon pot of lukewarm water to wash up in (they can get serious infections if they cannot wash at least their heads).

3. traceyj

traceyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    Thanks Amiga, so it's not a case of they are both farmyard birds and can interchange good/habitat then? I think for now I'll stick with chooks as I'm only 4 months into keeping them and it's addictive!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Some folks do quite well with both - I hope we hear from them.

I just know I have read concerns people have with the very different way ducks need water, especially, and how they can get drinking water murky and the chickens don't like it.

Not everyone complains or has trouble - but a number of people do keep separate coops, or have separate watering systems.

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    My chickens never complained about the duck mess water.
    I do keep them in separate huts at night, but they share a pen, water, food, etc

6. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I also don't have chickens so be that as it may I think they can do fine if they have enough room. I would for sure do different coops/houses for at night and go from there. Like Amiga said though ducks and chickens are very different in water requirments/mess. Ducks love water and if not managed well can be a huge problem for the chickens.

I live in TX and don't have to worry about my pool freezing all winter, just a few days. However I have seen most people put their pools up once it stays before freezing. As long as they can dunk their heads then they will be good but they will need a periodic bath. I don't have this problem so I defer to those with sub freezing conditions for how how often.

You would need to get at least 2 since like chickens they are a flock animal and need the company of their own species. As to what kind, duck do much better with cold than chickens. So that works in your favor. I would go for some of the larger breeds since they would handle the cold better.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  7. DuckyChickens11

DuckyChickens11 New Egg

Dec 12, 2014
    I have 6 hens, 1 rooster and two ducks (drake & hen). I coop them all together and they get along extremely well. I keep the duck nesting boxes on the ground, chicken boxes up high (the chickens don't mess with the duck nest surprisingly) I just recently got my rooster and he will protect my ducks while they are out free ranging. My ducks are khaki campbells and are very winter hardy. I live in New England and they do well in the cold, they just hate the wind. My female lays one egg a day. They are fine without their pond in the winter, but on weekends I'll fill a pan of water for them to play in and they're happy as can be. They are a friendly and happy go lucky breed. Hope that helps!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  8. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    I had 7 Black Astrlorps hens live with my two Muscovy duck hens for a long time and they did fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by