I have 8 month old pullets who don't roost..why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ElCerritoPlace, Dec 10, 2013.

1. ElCerritoPlace

ElCerritoPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    I have 2 ages in my flock, my younger 3 (orpington) don't roost. The 3 (EE, Australorp, wyandotte) older use the top most roost that goes across the coop, there used to be 4 that used it but one died. I also have a ladder style, which the orp's perch on during the day but at night they all huddle in a corner. What am I doing wrong? Differ style roost? If so any suggestions? Thanks

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    The older, dominant hens may be the reason the pullets are not on that roost.

I would think the pullets would be on a lower roost. Is there a roost available?

Can you post a picture of your roost?

3. ElCerritoPlace

ElCerritoPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    I don't have a picture and its -20 F right now. The lower is just the ladder style, whereas the upper spans the coop width, 4 ft. The older birds use the ladder to get to the top roost but sometimes the EE sits at the very top of the ladder. The ladder is just propped leaning from one side to the other, width wise. I don't know if that makes sense. The ladder is still there for orps to use they just don't.

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    It sounds like your pullets are staying out of the way of your hens.

You might add another roost pole for your pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by