I have 9 hens and Rooster, Do I really need rooster

No, you don't have to keep a rooster with your flock. If you want to get rid of the one you already have? I say do it... You can either put him in freezer camp yourself, attempt to rehome him with another family with a flock, or offer him up to someone else's freezer camp if they want to do the deed.

I would think the main reason for a rooster is if you intend to hatch eggs. My chicken stay out all day so my rooster guides them around and looks out for um. But if yours don't get out and no chicks are planned, I guess not.

I keep a rooster because he helps to fend off other critters. That's the best reason to have him. I know you said that you don't have any predators but unless you live in the city of New York or L.A. there are probably have, at least, night time predators.

I keep several roosters....they DO help with predators, I DO hatch eggs, and they certainly provide us with eye candy with their flamboyant feathers..

Of course, you dont need a rooster, I know not everybody wants one...and some can be aggressive. The hens will readjust and from what I understand, a hen should take over as "alpha" of the flock. But why get rid of a roo, they're so entertaining. Ours does keep a lookout for danger, sounding an alert for the girls to run for cover if he sees a hawk silhouette overhead. He also announces when he's found a tasty treat, so the hens can run over and eat it instead. I've even seen him disable a grasshopper so it can't hop away while he clucks for a hen to come eat it... like I said, too fun to watch.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom