I have 9 hens and Rooster, Do I really need rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by McClellan_Coop, Oct 27, 2011.

1. McClellan_Coop

McClellan_Coop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Jacksonville, OhIo
    I have chickens in my backyard with no predators around. I am wanting to get rid of the rooster and 3 hens would this mess with my flock in anyway?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You would likely see some changes in the pecking order, but no- you certainly don't need the rooster. Good luck...

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    No, the hens left will just resort their order and go about their chicky business.

4. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    No, you don't have to keep a rooster with your flock. If you want to get rid of the one you already have? I say do it... You can either put him in freezer camp yourself, attempt to rehome him with another family with a flock, or offer him up to someone else's freezer camp if they want to do the deed.

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I would think the main reason for a rooster is if you intend to hatch eggs. My chicken stay out all day so my rooster guides them around and looks out for um. But if yours don't get out and no chicks are planned, I guess not.

6. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I keep a rooster because he helps to fend off other critters. That's the best reason to have him. I know you said that you don't have any predators but unless you live in the city of New York or L.A. there are probably have, at least, night time predators.

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I keep several roosters....they DO help with predators, I DO hatch eggs, and they certainly provide us with eye candy with their flamboyant feathers..

8. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    Of course, you dont need a rooster, I know not everybody wants one...and some can be aggressive. The hens will readjust and from what I understand, a hen should take over as "alpha" of the flock. But why get rid of a roo, they're so entertaining. Ours does keep a lookout for danger, sounding an alert for the girls to run for cover if he sees a hawk silhouette overhead. He also announces when he's found a tasty treat, so the hens can run over and eat it instead. I've even seen him disable a grasshopper so it can't hop away while he clucks for a hen to come eat it... like I said, too fun to watch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by