I have 9 pearl white leghorns chickens and they Are not laying they are 21 weeks old

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickens15, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Chickens15

Chickens15 New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    I have 9 pearl white leghorns raised them as chicks from a day old and I went in the coop and feathers everwhere I don,t know I have 2 top hats and i chokin none of them are laying eggs do you think they are molting I don,t know I don,t think it's normal they are young no eggs :( what. Do and they are a little scared of me :(:(

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    21 weeks old is too young to be going through an annual molt, however they are at the age to go through their final mini molt where they grow in their stiff tail feathers. A pullet goes through one complete and three partial moults during its growth to point of lay. Generally, complete molting occurs from 1-6 weeks of age, and partial molting at 7-9 weeks, 12-16 weeks and 20-22 weeks. As for them not laying, it may just be the shortened days hindering their first eggs. I have hens that are 25 weeks and they aren't laying yet but getting close. To check and see if your hens are close to laying their first egg, place your hand on their back if they drop they should be laying within a few weeks to days, also if their comb is bright red, not pale in color.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chickens15

Chickens15 New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    Thanks Everone I will try to be patient :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by