i have a 1 year old duck that is limping

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by witcheycrazygoatlady, Apr 7, 2018.

1. witcheycrazygoatlady

witcheycrazygoatlady In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2018
    i have a duck i noticed she was having a difficult time standing an walking .i went an got her she has a swollen foot (the center not the toes) i don't see like a bumble .i think it happened last night .could it be from the cold ? it snowed last night here in Ohio.any info would help.thank you.

2. witcheycrazygoatlady

Apr 7, 2018
    just noticed her lag is now swollen she is holding it up.

3. GracieJ

GracieJ Songster

Feb 16, 2018
    Wales, UK
    Are there any steps your duck can jump off? Sometimes even the smallest step to us can be huge for ducks! Could be just a sprain. Let her have plenty of rest, food and water on level ground for a few days and look out for further swelling and bruising.

Let her go in water as well as it can provide a much needed ‘physiotherapy’ for ducks when they have leg trouble.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. witcheycrazygoatlady

Apr 7, 2018
    i have her in side now she is resting when she stands up its on one leg.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Can you post a pic of her leg and foot? visuals always help, could be an infection which would require antibiotics. Look along the leg for puncture wounds of any size.

@witcheycrazygoatlady

6. witcheycrazygoatlady

Apr 7, 2018
    fresh out of the bath.

Attached Files:

7. Miss Lydia

I don't really see anything that makes me think bumble foot is that bruising on the web next to the toe? If it's her leg could be an injury first I need to know do you have drakes because sometime during mating a duck can get injured.
    If an injury you might try soaking her leg in some nice warm Epsom salt water half cup to half gal of water. [don't let her drink it is also a laxative] if it's infection she may need to see a vet for antibiotics. No cut or scrapes along the leg?

8. witcheycrazygoatlady

Apr 7, 2018
    i have 5 drakes an like 6 females.i have penicillin.she did soake for 20 min.

9. Miss Lydia

Could be the drakes that is not a good ratio those drakes need at least 3 females each. More if at all possible. I'd keep her away from the drakes but where they can all still see each other let her have some rest, keep up with the soaks too. @casportpony? could Pen help with this problem?

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Probably not. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: