I have a 10 day old chick that is growing slowly and acting strange...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DoubleBoop, Nov 24, 2017.

1. DoubleBoop

DoubleBoop In the Brooder

Nov 23, 2017
    I have a 10 day old chick that is growing much slower than the other 7 I have. They're all the same age. All of them are very quiet and well behaved except one. The one had crusty butt a couple days ago that I took care of and she was silent and happy for a day but now is acting like she's in pain again. She makes noise constantly unless she's asleep and when I hold her I can feel her tense up or wince every now and then. She acts very needy and I don't know what she wants. She eats, drinks, and poops just fine, isn't cold or hot, but is much smaller than the other chicks. Here's a video of what she's doing and a picture of her next to the other chicks. I don't know if there is anything I should worry about or not. This is my first time raising chicks on my own so any advice is well appreciated.

upload_2017-11-24_22-54-39.png

2. DoubleBoop

Nov 23, 2017
    I just noticed a bulge above her breast, below the neck. I assume that's the crop? I think this is the source of the chick's behavior. Maybe this can help? Could the food be getting stuck in the crop?

[​IMG]

3. DoubleBoop

Nov 23, 2017
    Another picture. Ignore the photobomber..

[​IMG]

4. WhiteWyan

WhiteWyan Songster

May 17, 2017
    Ulster Park
    I had a chick do that too. Definitely impacted crop. Give them chick grit right away. Get rid of anything like grass, straw, wood shavings. Put them on paper towels or puppy pee training pads. It's from the fibrous materials. I made that mistake by putting them on wood shavings.

5. Adorable photobomb and babies :)
    If it's not the vent it could be the crop... but not sure. Depending on what time it is where you live take the feed out in the evening and before the baby eats the next morning feel her crop. It should be empty (doesn't feel like a hacky sack and you should just feel bone there). Check her vent and make sure it's clear.

6. ThenNotSoChickenMaster

ThenNotSoChickenMaster Chirping

Jul 8, 2017
    Yep, that's the crop. How does it feel?

Honestly, not sure. Is she getting pecked on? Your right though, she isn't as developed; I noticed her feathers aren't as developed either. Maybe she is just a late bloomer? Someone else can pitch in.

7. WhiteWyan

WhiteWyan Songster

May 17, 2017
    Ulster Park
    You're in the clear when you see him/her producing droppings again.
    Also, you should gently massage to crop as much as possible.

8. DoubleBoop

Nov 23, 2017
    I don't have grit right now, I assume a petsmart would have it? I can put it on it's own pen on paper towels for the night though. Should it get any food or just water?

9. I don't think they'll be picky... if you have any coarse sand in your yard or itty bitty pebbles (and I mean small!) they could probably use that until you get the real kind.
    Not sure if petsmart would carry poultry products like that, do you have a feed store nearby?

sylviethecochin likes this.
  10. DoubleBoop

Nov 23, 2017
    She's pooping ok a little on the runny side but brown, no blood. The crop has gotten worse in the last couple hours, but she pooped a few minutes ago

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: