I have a 4 foot by 4 foot tractor

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by greenmulberry, Dec 11, 2010.

1. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    I happen to own a little four foot by four foot chicken tractor, that is very secure. I just built it to have somewhere to put extra chickens in that I need to separate from the laying flock, which is turns out I really never need to do.

Anyway, I was wondering what the mot Cornish crosses are that I could raise in there. I can move it twice a day. The feed stores around here get cornish X so I can buy whatever number I want. I was thinking 8?

I was going to do a few so I could learn without getting overwhelmed, before I dive in, build a huge tractor, and order a full "batch".

Any thoughts?

2. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    that's the number i was thinking

ETA hey to a fellow iowan... iowa city was my home prior to my current place

also, seeing as how you are from iowa.. do you have a way in the tractor to protect them from the elements? i guess i'm just curious the details of the actual tractor or if you have any pics

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Maybe 4.....At the rate they grow I think 8 would outgrow it very quickly.

4. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    Figure 1.3 - 1.5 feet per CX. So that being said you could get 5 or 6.
    I put 50 to 55 in an 8 x 10 and 75 - 85 in 10 x 12. I also use Freedom Rangers

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  5. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    4x4 = 16 sqft if the number is 1.5 per sqft I think that is 12 which puts you in the range of commerical operations, might as well go buy that storebought stuff at that stocking rate.

Just saying

6. greenmulberry

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Yeah i have a way to protect them from the elements. There is a tarp over the top and the entire backside, the front is open, and the other two sides are partial covered.

When i use it I keep it so the open side is facing south and that seems to keep the chickens I have it is dry. It is covered with hardware cloth and has a chicken wire skirt all the way around that I either use large wire pins or cinder blocks to hold down.

It was a four foot long fish tank stand that I sliced in half, connected the halves with four foot 2 by fours, covered in hardware cloth, and added a low roost in the back! I screwed a handle on the front so I could lift up and drag along.

No pics right now because it is outside behind the woodpile covered with a tarp and a bunch of snow, but when I get some meaties in it I will take a pic.

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:x2. I have a little run that is 4x4 that came with my coop. My chickens free range my back yard so the only time I use the run is with my new Spring chicks each year for a few weeks to acclimatize them from the indoor brooder to free-ranging. When I first put 3-4 there at around 4 weeks old they have tons of room. Two to three weeks later they are ready to break free and have more room.

8. greenmulberry

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    OK, Sounds like 4 is a good number.

I want them to be happy and healthy so my husband has a good impression of this process and will be agreeable to helping me do a bigger batch in a bigger tractor later!

9. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:yea, because there's not more to it than sq. ft.

my guess would be the OP would probably be doing things a little different than commercial growers

just sayin

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by