I have a 5 month peahen that started with cocci. Treated with Corid for 5 days and she was not getti

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leonardi50, Nov 15, 2019.

1. leonardi50

leonardi50 Hatching

Nov 15, 2019
    I have a 5 month peahen that started with cocci. Treated with Corid for 5 days and she was not getting any better. This was over a week and half ago. Stool showed no sign of yellow foam or any issues. I started treating for blackhead with metronidazole 250 mg. cut in quarters given 2 times daily. She is segregated in a dog crate with food and water. I re-wormed her with Safeguard 1cc and found trace amounts of cocci still in system ..re-treated with corid. I started the metro tablets on Monday...I am not seeing much improvement and her eating is limited. She prefers bread and tomatoes with little eating of her feed. How long should I let her continue this way - treatment is for 10 days with the tablets.

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Could you perhaps feed her a little scrambled egg, or tuna, instead of bread and tomatoes? You might get her to eat some of her feed if you added water and egg to it. Make sure she gets plenty of fresh water too. I sure hope she improves soon! :fl

3. leonardi50

leonardi50 Hatching

Nov 15, 2019
    I have been using the bread for the metro pill and safeguard - it was easier to put it on food to get her to eat it instead of orally dosing. I can try tuna...never thought of that. She does like eggs and I am boiling one right now. I thought she was eating the tomatoes because of the liquid it provides. I do also create a "mash" with her feed. I am going to start weighing her daily to make sure she is not losing any weight.

ValerieJ likes this.
  4. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    You are taking good care of her.:love

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: