I have a 7 month old D'uccle rooster and a Spitzhuben/Barnevelder chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lindsay Wann, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Lindsay Wann

Lindsay Wann Just Hatched

Jan 14, 2018
    I got when they were babies... I've had them in the coop ever since i bought them August...they have been doing their "thing" 24 7 I feel like but I still have no eggs...when should I expect eggs from her?

2. Hamiam

Hamiam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2017
    Cottondale, Texas
    My Coop
    Hi! Welcome to BYC. Can you add your location to your profile? Often if you live in a cold climate & with the shorter days of winter, hens delay laying or stop laying. Also, please post a picture of her face, showing her comb & wattles. If they are starting to get bright red, that can indicate laying is coming soon.

chuckachucka likes this.
  3. Lindsay Wann

Jan 14, 2018
    Here they are now

Attached Files:

Hamiam likes this.
  4. Lindsay Wann

Jan 14, 2018
    This is my D'uccle rooster and Cemani barnevelder mix chicken.

Attached Files:

Hamiam likes this.
  5. Hamiam

Hamiam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2017
    Cottondale, Texas
    My Coop
    Your Pullet's comb & waddles indicate she is still immature & not ready to lay. Watch for them to enlarge & become more red. However, because she is part Cemani, they may not look as red as some would expect.
    The other thing to consider is the quality of life for the chickens. Do they have plenty of space in their chicken coop & run? Are they given any free range time? Do they Have chicken feed available all the time? (I use flock raiser 20% protein & keep a container of oyster shell available for calcium for the girls to eat as needed) Feed high protein snacks. Feed very little chicken scratch (it is a snack with little nutrition. Everyday, I throw out 1 handful in the run so they can do some scratching around in the dirt) Do they have a dust bath area? (Dust bathing is a social event for chickens. It also helps prevent mites & lice) Chickens also like to sunbathe. Do they have Fresh clean water available at all times? Do they have a low stress living space, protected from predators & plenty of roosting space so they can sleep up off the floor?
    Last, do you live in an area where they are getting 14-16 hours of sunlight per day?
    Of course you don't have to have a rooster for a hen to lay eggs. He is only necessary for her to lay fertilized eggs. If he is in with only 1 hen, he could cause stress if he begins to over breed her. I wouldn't want a rooster with less than 10 hens.
    If the chickens are healthy & happy, the eggs will come. Just be patient.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by