I have a alomst 2 year old rooster with swollen wattels

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jjleighty, Jan 5, 2014.

1. jjleighty

jjleighty New Egg

Jan 5, 2014
    Hi I need major help. I went out to the barn this morning to feed and water and I found my rooster with swollen wattels and ear lobes. He keeps shaking his head back and forth and normally he wont let me hold him but today he had no problem getting in some cuddle time. His wattels are a dark blue half way up and warm to the touch. He is a medium size rooster and I went out to check him this afternoon and he acts like he is sleeping but then he pops up and has a little energy. I took him away from the hens in a seprate room in my barn. We are suppose to be getting ngative tempatures the next few nights and I don't know what to do. Any thoughts suggetions would be great at this point!!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its possible that his wattles are swollen because of frostbite. Could you post a picture? Often times, when a bird drinks, it dips its wattles into the water, and the water freezes the wattles. I'm not sure about the earlobes, but frostbite could also cause them to be swollen. Other possiblities include a respiratory disease, like Infectious Coryza. Have you noticed any bad smell or sneezing/coughing?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I would guess that the wattles and earlobes are frostbitten, especially because of the color change half way up. Posting a picture may help. Apply some antibiotic ointment or if you don't have any yet, vaseline. Make the water is raised higher so wattles don't get in, and check to make sure you have overhead ventilation high up in the coop. Moist air which causes frostbite needs to get out of the coop, but the chickens need to be out of the wind.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

Do you mean swollen like in this case of fowl cholera?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Swollen wattles can be from frostbite, coryza, and fowl cholera. Or like this case that turned out to be frostbite. [​IMG]

6. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
  7. jjleighty

jjleighty New Egg

Jan 5, 2014
    Wyandottes7
    Thank You so much for replying!! I have a picture but it wont upload it I'll try tomorrow. I brought him inside and put him in my labs old dog kennel in the basement where its warmer since I live in Ohio and where getting hit with arctic air. I started giving him water out of a dropper every hour and he is doing well with that. I haven't noticed a smell and he is not sneezing or coughing. He seems really tired and when I wake him up he is ready to go lol. I'm not sure what to do as far as food goes since his wattels are so big he cant really eat so if you have any thoughts that would be great!! Thank You so much :)

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your picture didn't show up. You must have deleted it.

9. jjleighty

jjleighty New Egg

Jan 5, 2014
    eggcessive he looks like your white rooster in the pic you posted. I have a pic but it wont let me upload. I brought him inside and have him drinking from a dropper every hour. im just worried about him not eating. any thoughts?

10. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Here are some pictures.

Swollen
    [​IMG]

A few days later after the swelling went down.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by