I have a Another Question.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chuck_H, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Chuck_H

Chuck_H Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Huntersville, NC
    Rat poison...I saw a few mice in the Chicken coup...I bought some Decon Rat/Mice poison...I need to place it around, but not in the coup...

Any Suggestions?...Or Advice?

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    You have to be very careful with poison as the chickens will get into it. I would use the sticky traps or some critter friendly trap that won't hurt the chickens

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use a bait box.

It is just a box turned upside down, with a couple 1-2 inch holes cut into it. Nail some nails in a board, stick the poison on the nails, and put that board underneath the over turned box. That way, the chickens cant get into the poison.

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Bait boxes work good. A box with a way in it for a rat or mice to get in, but nothing else.
    ETA: Sundown beat me to it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Sticky traps are nasty. A couple years ago, my rir rooster got stuck in a sticky trap. Luckly it was cold out, so it was sort of easy to get him out. If it was a warm day, there would have been no way to get him unstuck.

6. Chuck_H

Chuck_H Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Huntersville, NC
    My "Shop" is beside where I keep the chickens and a few stalls on the other...That's where I'm going to place the bait...So, there's no way they can get into it...

Comments, Please.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by