I have a baby duck that can not walk on one foot,,Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BackSwampGirl, Jan 29, 2009.

1. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    It can scoot around on its other foot.And can stand on its other leg and foot but the other one is pulled up under itself.It has just happened.It will be a week old tomorrow.Please tell me what I can do to help it walk.Sandra

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    So, up until now, it was walking fine?

3. mythkat

mythkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep him in a quite dark place with food and water within reach and deep bedding. I had a couple of ducklings that hurt one leg and after about a week they were able to limp around and now they're full grown and fine. I also let them swim every day in the bath tub and dried them thoroughly afterwards. Good luck.[​IMG]

4. BackSwampGirl

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    Well yes it has been sick got something from baby chicks.And all of a sudden it is not walking on but one leg.I don`t know what to do.

5. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I would do like the other poster recommends. Let him swim every day to exercise the injured foot. Don't leave him alone - they can drown that young. And be sure you dry him off afterwards with a hairdryer, followed by heat lamp. Good luck to the little guy.

6. BackSwampGirl

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    I am so afraid I am going to loose her.She was trying to use it.But it still hurts.I put her in the sink last night,and it acted happy.But I am so afraid the leg is broken.So I took her out and dried her off with blow dryer.And put another bandage on it.And hope it si going to walk one day.I don`t want to cull it.She is so sweet.But don`t want to see her suffer.She cries a lot for me,all the time.I named her "Cracker",and she knows her name,Don`t know what to do,,,,, [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. gretchenhau

gretchenhau Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    When my 6 were young, I had one that couldn't walk either, It healed itself and "Troy" is now the leader of the pack, 1 year later.

Good luck, Give it a chance to heal.

My vet said to do nothing, that it would heal on its own.

Gretchen

8. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    And baby ducks are like that...cry for you if you start to leave them. She'll be okay. Just give her time and lots of love and attention. She sounds sooo sweet.

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The duck thinks you are "mama".

10. BackSwampGirl

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    Thanks for all your concerns,,UPDATE ON CRACKER MY LITTLE KKAKI DUCK,could not walk.She has been swimming in water about 2x a day.But she is using the other foot.And walking, swimming.And you can believe one thing when she hears me on here she knows who it is,her Mama.She is so loving.I can go by the box and I see that little leg out to the side,and i say,,,Cracker!!!!,,,where is that leg at.And she pulls it back up under her. [​IMG] Yes she is my baby.And spoiled but that is ok.I am so happy that she is doing better now.Not complete well yet.But working on it.,,,Sandra [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by