I have a baby!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sgtmom52, Apr 21, 2008.

1. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

This is a first for me. I have a BO broody that I bought 12 EE/Russian Orloff mix eggs for. I put them under her on 4/1 and was expecting them to start hatching tomorrow. Much to my surprise I found a newly hatched chick this afternoon! [​IMG]

This is the best picture I could get for now. I didn't want to stress her out as she still has 10 eggs to go - we lost one to a big crack on day 9.
    She has dried out since this picture to a nice brown on top and yellow belly.

[​IMG]

I can't wait until morning to see what is happening!

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats! [​IMG]

3. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Great! Pass the positive vibes.

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Thanks - it has been a long 3 weeks - esp. since I didn't candle and was not sure if they were developing. I only knew that the one that cracked on day 9 was developing. I am hoping to get a few nice chicks - I would even like to have a roo since I don't have one right now! [​IMG]

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

At 7 am the baby count is 3 right now and 8 more still in the eggs!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Congrats! I love seeing these kinds of photos with babies peaking out. So very sweet!

In all my years I have only had 1 broody hen! I would love to have a fat, sassy broody hatch me out a batch of chicks!

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Goldie is is an 11 month old Buff Orp and is so sweet. She was broody for 2 weeks before I got her some eggs. She only got off the nest 4 times in 3 weeks after I gave her the eggs (counting the broody poops). I hand fed her and gave her water everyday. She never growls at me or tries to peck me. I think she will make a wonderful mama!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by