1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a baby!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ourhouse51, Aug 3, 2008.

1. ourhouse51

ourhouse51 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    SE Oklahoma....
    My broody's (two of them) left their nests 21 days ago. I got their eggs and popped them in the bator, hoping very very hard.... I am not sure how long they had been sitting, several days for sure....

I ws going to chunk eggs today because it has been 21 days in the bator,,,,,who knows how many before that and I figured they were not going to hatch. Woke up this morning and my grandson kept saying "I hear a baby bird! "

Yep, got a little fuzzy butt and it is CUTE!!!! It looks like a buff orpington...but it hatched from a white egg....

I have Leghorns, buffs, barred rocks, dominiquers, and RIR. Roosters are RIT, MUTT and and old English Game rooster...

So this is defininitely a surprise baby! The last one (and only one) that I have hatched, died right after it was born. This one is nive and healthy looking and very vocal!

This is pretty fun!

[​IMG]

2. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    Congrats on the baby chick!! [​IMG]

It is lots of fun isn't it!! [​IMG]

3. candyd

candyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Corinth, NY
    Congrats! It is so exciting for you [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That's fantastic.

Hope you get some more!![​IMG]

5. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    [​IMG] Congratulations.

6. ourhouse51

Feb 24, 2007
    SE Oklahoma....
    I moved my oh so beautiful baby into his brooder box with his very own little light.....

since I have 8 more eggs in the incubator and I have no idea how long momma hen was on them....I decided to quickly candle....

I can see veins in 6 of them, coming from the big end of the egg down and then it is like a huge blob that is moving....I see big air sacs at the top.....except in 2 of the eggs, it looks like the blob is all the way almost to the top, but there was a little movement....

Can you tell I have never ever candled before? 3 of my eggs are green or brown and I can't see anything but an air cell.....

Now should I go ahead and bump up the humidity? It is sitting at 54 right now.

I am sooooo lost here! But this is really fun and my grandson had a blast watching the one hatch out yesterday.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    You could wait till you see the first pip and then get the humidity as high as you can...

I've done that when I have no idea how far along the eggs are and it is very successful.

8. ourhouse51

Feb 24, 2007
    SE Oklahoma....
    My broody hen was sitting on 9 eggs. She hatched out 4 and we found them dead, with lots of ants on them. We found 2 babies, barely alive, with ants on them. We cleaned them off as best we could and put them in the incubator. We found 2 more eggs, one with a big pip, chirping and one just beginning to pip. We put them in the bator also. The one that had the big pip had ants everywhere....it has hatched out but looks like it may not make it. The other still has a small pip and I can still see movement. I don't see a pip on the other one yet. The first two babies are very listless and lying in the incubator.

My temp and humidity are good at 101 and 60% right now. I am hoping beyond hope that I will have some more hatch since I have had to open. I had 8 eggs still in there.

I am just sick that I have lost 4 and may lose 3 more.....[​IMG]

9. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    CONGRATS! [​IMG]

10. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    awwww congrats wheres the pics [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by