I have a bad feeling about this!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bock, May 31, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I put an ad on Craigslist for the 3 9 week old roosters my hen hatched. 20 minutes after I posted it some guy called and asked my dad to bring them to the gas station to pick them up. I thought it was weird how he didn't even want to look at them or ask any questions. We brought them anyway, and ended up giving them to a guy who shoved them roughly in a diaper box. [​IMG] After paying us $9 he told us he had bought 3 sheep earlier that day. He also asked if we were selling any sheep or goats, or if we would be selling any more bantams in the future. I just had a bad feeling about the way he seemed to want as many animals as he could get. I think he is planning on re-selling them or something. I am NEVER selling any of my animals on Craigslist again! [​IMG] Has anyone else had an experience like this when selling their animals?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I havnt experienced it personally but I've read alot of rants in the pet section in craigslist of greedy people doing just that, reselling them to unsuspecting people.

3. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    I don't understand your problem, you ask a price he gave the price if you want to have a say in what happens to your chickens after you sell them you should not sell. I have considered you maybe a young person but if this is true you have to realize if you sell something you no longer have any say in what happens to your birds. I may not under stand what you are saying if so I am sorry.

4. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I realize that I no longer have a say in what is done with them. I just wish I could have told the guy they were not for sale anymore, but my parents and I knew that having that many roosters would be a problem. It was a sell them or kill them situation you know, and I would rather they be given a chance at life than be killed just for being males. Sorry if I am being childish, but I am wondering if this is common. [​IMG]

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    This is part and parcel of the responsibility we take on when we hatch eggs. Something has to be done with the birds that we produce and it's usually the surplus cockerels that are the biggest problem. The fellow gave you what you asked for them and so long as you do not suspect he's going to abuse them (eating them is not abuse) then your part in the matter is over.

You could of course stipulate up front they cannot be resold and they cannot be eaten but that will greatly impact your chances of selling them as well.

It may well be that he's going to resell them. If so you should keep his number for the next time you have surplus birds to dispose of.

6. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    perhaps you are not being childish, maybe if you have a breed that are wanted you could advertise them as breeder stock and maybe try giving them to someone who wanted a rooster for breeding. There are some things we have to except as facts of life and move on. since you have bantams he probably was not going to eat the roosters so maybe he thought he could sell them and maybe he was going to turn them loose as something to listen to since he wanted sheep and goats I think maybe he was going to sell them in some auction.
    I don't know any thing about criag list so I wouldn't know if it is common but in our area a large rooster brings a dollar or 2 dollars and since he gave 3 dollars for the roosters he must have thought they had value perhaps if you said what type of bantam we might have a idea if they were valuable. roosters are a problem if you have more than you need and I think you got a good price.

7. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I certainly sympathize with your "bad feeling" about this -- and you are not being childish, you are being human. Having too many roosters IS part of the deal of hatching eggs, as someone said... it's the crummy part. Many many many years ago .... more years than you can imagine, I ended up with more kittens than my parents were game for. I agreed that they could go to the SPCA (like I had a choice.) I am still haunted by that car trip.

And so, now that you know how ooky this part is, you can devise a plan for future excess roos. Plan to contact a 4-H club or park or old people's home or whatever -- simply be ever vigilant for potential homes -- take names and numbers of appropriate contact people. Should you run a CraigsList ad again be sure to ask for a re-homing fee that is too high for it to be worth the while of someone who resells the animals. (If I were to sell one of my birds I would charge, say, $10 -- too much for someone who simply wants a bird for dinner or to resell -- not too much to pay for a pet.0

My condolences to you -- growing up bites.

Jenny

8. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thanks for being so supportive. [​IMG] I don't think he will eat those skinny little bantams, but if I see them at the farmers market I will not be too happy! [​IMG]

9. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    There are risks with this... Perhaps he's just moved to the country and wants to start up a farm.. Perhaps he's needing them for food... But, my biggest concern for the roosters, unless someone is going to use them for breeding, is that they'll be used for cock fighting. Recently there was a HUGE bust on a cock fighting ring here in town.

However, it's true.. Once you sell an item/animal you no longer have any say or right to know what comes of it.. I'm sorry about that. It's the cold hard truth. [​IMG]

You need to just move on now and hope for the best. Miss Jenny's post today has some very nice advice.

Hang in there.

10. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Oh I understand! BUT the cheaper you sell a bird, the faster they go and at a reasonable deal like that... he may just be eating them, or like you said reselling them. You never really know.

I sell (decent quality birdsand with fantastic temparmenst) my silkie roosters for $15 each... OR I trade them for something I really want. For someone to pay that, or to trade for say, a duck or another hen, its because they want the rooster, and will most likely take the best care of it. I never rehome an animal I save without charging someone a 'fee' because for some reason if someone is willing to pay for a cat or dog I've rescued, I know those people are more likely to pay vet bills and care about the animal then someone I just GIVE it to! It makes me feel better... even though its not about the $$$.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by