1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a beautiful white duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Denece&Lacey, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Denece&Lacey

Denece&Lacey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Alvord, Tx
    She has blue eyes. She is not very friendly at all. She still acts scared to death of us. We have had her about 6 weeks. I have tried petting her etc.... Anyway I was just wondering what breed she might be. I can add a picture later. Thanks

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Is it a Pekin?

3. Denece&Lacey

Denece&Lacey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Alvord, Tx
    Maybe I just bought her at trade days. I thought she was so pretty. She acts like she hates me though!!!! I will look up the Pekin and see if she looks like one. Thanks

4. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I bet she is Pekin.. and she will forever be afraid.
    We got ours at about 2 weeks old.
    They are terrified of us if we try to touch them.
    (yet they will come to me and sometimes follow me)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:That's how my ducks are. They come running when I go out to them, but do not want to be picked up.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    When you pet her you are kick starting her inborn predator defenses. Most predators of waterfowl come from the air or at least are taller.
    Ducks dont like being petted or held. If they follow you and get close to you, then you are doing good.

Your duck is likely frightened because it may have been neglected or just not used to human attention or she may have been abused.

Patience is the key to waterfowl. They need to overcome the instinct and realize you are their friend.

7. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Now that makes sense to me Terrie. My ducks have never liked me but do come running outta the coop when I go out there. They will get close to me but don't want any lovin' at all. I tried holding them from the time they hatched and they still have never cared for me......Now I know why!! Thanks!!

8. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    My pekins don't like being picked up, or petted either, but they do like eating out of everyone's hands. Just squat down to eye level, or as close as you can, with feed in your hand. They'll get the hang of it soon!

9. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    yeah Terrie.. that makes sense!

My ducks know where their pen is at night too.
    Sometimes they will stand still and let me pick them up to put them in. I approach them with my hand underneath their belly. They do seem to relax more that way. they still aren't very hip on it though overall!

Can't wait to get the coop done so that I can just herd them in.
    They herd fairly easy.

10. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    oh, and mine will eat out of your hands too.. but sometimes they get rough. We feed them that way anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by