I have a bet with DH

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by zippychickens, May 14, 2008.

1. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    I have a white rock hen. She hasn't laid any eggs yet but will soon I hope. I read that white rocks lay brown eggs. My DH and Mom say that a white chicken will lay white eggs. Does anyone have a white rock and if so what color are the eggs?
    Thanks

2. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I just went to a hatchery site, says it lays brown eggs! What you bettin' for? Better make it good! I'd bet for a back rub from DH and a raisin pie from MIL...but that's me!

Tanya

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Plymouth rocks of any color - Barred, White, Buff, Silver Penciled, Partridge, Columbian, Blue - all lay light to medium colored brown eggs.

You win.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    White rock = brown eggs.

It's the breed of the chicken, not the color of it that matters.

MOST of the time the color of the ear lobes will tell you the egg color, but there are even exceptions to that rule also.

Rock chickens lay brown eggs.

And in case they don't believe me either....here's the description of the white rock from welp hatchery's website:

http://www.welphatchery.com/EggLayerTypes/white_rock.asp :

White Rock Chicken - Baby: light yellow and some are all white in color with a touch of gray. Mature: All white feathers and very easy to handle. Desirable for cold winter months. Rapid growth, white feathers and golden yellow skin make them easy to dress. Medium sized bird with a quiet disposition. Good layers of brown eggs. Weight: 5.5 lbs.

edit = boy we all were posting at the same time [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  5. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    I LOVE you all!! And I LOVE winning! HEEHEE.
    If I was right I could add to my flock and DH couldn't "roll" his eyes at me or complain. I see Buff Orpingtons in my future!

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:[​IMG] Congrats on your victory! [​IMG] I love when that happens too! [​IMG]

7. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Rocks are cool I'm getting some from my friends mom who has to give away her laying flock of rocks. Congrats on your soon to be victory. What did ya bet?

8. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Last edited: May 15, 2008
  9. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I had white rock hens once. Get ready for some nice, large,BROWN eggs! What do you win?

10. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Just read that you get to add to your flock. Get some colored hens that lay white eggs and bet again,Ha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by