i have a black polish chicken, and he gets pecked on a lot

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mini_Dachshund, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Mini_Dachshund

Mini_Dachshund New Egg

Nov 11, 2007
    Ohio
    my black polish rooster get his head feathers pulled out all the time, mostly during the night. sometimes it'll be all bloody, is there anything i can do to help stop them from doing that? i mean now he looks a little funny with this bald path in the middle of his head.
    Thanks

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    That is why I sold my polish. They just didn't do well in the flock. I think the only thing you can do is separate him.

3. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Are your other birds crested or non crested? Is he the only roo? I know alot of people have this problem. I've never personally gone throuhg this with my crested birds so the best advice I can give you is seperate him till his feathers grow in and then reintroduce slowly OR build another coop for him and a few ladies...preferably ladies with crests. Maybe someone else who's gone through it will come along and offer something better. [​IMG]

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I'm going through the same thing, only it's not just one of my polish. It's also my frizzle and a cochin (I think) that are getting it's feathers plucked.

Some people advise giving some extra protien to the birds (via catfood, cooked eggs, yogurt, etc...). I'm thinking I'm just going to build them a separate enclosure.

5. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    my polish sometimes get pecked. i up their protein a little and they usually stop. if it's happening at night, my recommendation is to put a small dog crate or something similar and put him in there at night with a couple of other one's that don't bother his crest. and in the morning, let them out to free range with everyone. they shouldn't get pecked during the day if they free range since they can get away.

6. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I have 5 polish (2 roos, 3 pullets), and they're in with some bantams, and I haven't seen anyone pecking at them, other than the cochin roo who is trying to mate with any hen he can.
    Maybe the polish will get along better with some banties!

7. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    They say not to put Polish in a mixed flock or they will be bullied!

From my personal experience:
    they were fine in mixed flock as long as it was the group they brooded with!!!

If I added any others it didn't work!

I am not sure why the Cochin is getting pecked even though they are docile they are not normally bullied. Unless they are younger (& smaller then the others)

8. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    RChicks is right,
    I started out with polish, BR, jersey giants, cochin banties, japanese, and sebrights.
    I have already moved the giants and BR's, but all the others are still together. They have always been together!
    I would not dare put the polish back with the giants or the BR's since they have been apart a while.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, my polish didn't last long either...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by