I have a blind chick!!! Need care suggestions!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewToFarming, Nov 19, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I will try to make a long story short! [​IMG]
    On Sunday I took in 9 chicks about 8 weeks old because their previous owner could no longer keep them. Some were definitely bigger that the others so I took six of them to the area in the coop I have set up for the youngsters on Wednesday night. This morning I go out and one of the splash silkie chicks had poop all over him. I brought him up to the house washed him off and kept him inside with the remaining smaller chicks as well as my 3 week olds. (I think one of the older chickens pooped on him) Yuck!
    Anyhow, I get home from work tonight and I noticed his neck like drifting to one side, he would bring it back and then his neck started to drfit back again. I am thinking maybe the start of wry neck. I had never seen wry neck before. I mixed some chick feed with water and polyvisol and tried to feed him some from a spoon. Needless to say he was pecking everywhere except where the food was right in front of him. I finally realized this little guy or girl is blind. I wave my hand in front of it and it won't flinch and it takes him twice as long to eat because most times he doesn't go down far enough to get food.
    I actually think he was weak from not eating well because of the change in his home. He probably did ok at his previous home because everything was the same but with the change I am sure he didn't eat well since he came.
    I would of course have to keep everything the same for him but will he every be able to be with the flock. This will be hard because mine all free range. (Except for the new little guys of course right now). I can keep him in the house for a bit but I am sure I won't be able to as he gets older. I have a dog that will not be happy to know he is in the house. [​IMG]
    I am going to concentrate on getting him strong again right now but any ideas for the future for him? I feel so bad for this little guy and not catching it earlier. This would explain why he was the easiest one to pick up without a fuss because he couldn't see me coming.
    I guess it was a good thing he got pooped on this morning, otherwise I might not have noticed until it was too late!!!!

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    You mentioned it being a silkie - but at that age it must be more than a full crest impeding its sight. Lucky you did find out find out now...Poor little thing.

I have a blind duck. She hatched earlier on this year. She does ok outside now but I have noticed a few issues. She has a protector- a drake her has taken to her and wont leave her side. When I let them out of a morning- he bolts for the door- but stops and goes back to to her. I have to carry her in and out of the shed. She hears them eat and will go to the food but she has a very dry cracked beak which is from dehydration. She wont drink enough during the day- and being summer here now- its a real concern for me. I put her in the pool when I get home from work- and make sure I take her to the water a few times during the evening.

Hope your little one soon learns to adapt to its new surroundings- and since you now know of the sight issue- you can keep an eye on it more closely too.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    My computer froze- so I cut and pasted and started again.... But then both posts appeared... Edited to removed doubled up part - Here is the second half only

Hope your little one soon learns to adapt to its new surroundings- and since you now know of the sight issue- you can keep an eye on it more closely too. Making sure its gets its share of food - and water, is important. But also making sure it always has shelter too- it might be cooler weather now- but make sure plenty of shade is provided in summer. I keep finding my girl sitting in the sun panting from the heat when shade is just a foot away form her.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  4. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks! You have given me hope for this little one! Yes, it definitely not the crest restricting her sight. I can wave my hand in front of her and she doesn't flinch and when she tries to eat, she will peck all around until she finds it. Also, he neck still kind of goes to one side like. She can an will bring it back but I wasn't sure if more is going on with her or she doesn't have like a good sense of balance of her head because she can't see. I wants to be sure she gets enough to eat right now but do you think I should start her out young with being outside after I make sure she is up to par? I am thinking she might have more of a problem adapting if she is older?
    Yes, water seems harder to get into her. She is just the sweetest little thing too. I will hold her and she will lay her head on my shoulder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by