1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a bloody egg.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Welsh Ducky, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Welsh Ducky

Welsh Ducky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    My chicken seems to have laid on egg that has blood on it, is this bad?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Sometimes a capillary will get broken as the egg exits. Especially with a pullet who is just starting laying, and sometimes when a hen passes a very large egg, and sometimes, just because. Usually not an issue. Just wash it off.

1 person likes this.
  3. Welsh Ducky

Welsh Ducky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    Thanks! Just wanted to make sure.

4. slowpoketx

slowpoketx New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    Texas
    Experiencing the same with one of my bantams. Just started laying a week ago. Less and less as more eggs laid.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It can sure freak you out, but it's usually not a big deal.

I've had a time or two where a hen apparently had some type of problem, the entire side of the nest box was spattered with blood. All over the egg, the nest box, it looked like I'd be finding a dead hen somewhere. Never even had a clue who had the problem. No one's vent looked off, no one acted weird, off their feed, etc.

[​IMG]

The thing with these glitches is just to watch that they're occasional. Lots of weird things can happen, especially with new layers. Ongoing patterns may indicate a reproductive issue, but I"m not aware of much that can be done for those cases.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by