I have a broody and I didnt even know it

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mom wewantchicks!, Nov 23, 2011.

1. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    well that about sums it up, we have a small flock of silkies 1 roo with 3 hens. 2 of the hens are white and i didnt real;lize one was sitting on eggs. i have been saving my splashes eggs for someone but they have been sitting about 2 weeks in the house,the person ended up not getting them. the hen that is sitting had 3 eggs i broke one open and there is development. so im giving her back her other two eggs. what im wondering is, its been very warm here in wv for this time of year but is supposed to cool down this week,will this make her leave the eggs and are the other eggs that i have had sitting back ok to give her a few,or are they to old. i have a kennel on my enclosed porch all set up fo her so she will be out of the weather if she decides to stick with it,this is her first time broody

2. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I dont think she will leave cause of the weather. The eggs if they are two weeks old i wouldn't put them under her. I only do eggs that are five days most do up to 7 tho.

3. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    I have hatched eggs 3 weeks old. I actually have a broody on eggs that are 2 weeks old:)

4. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    i did some research and found where someone had tested hatching eggs up to 3 months old and they still hatched. im keeping my fingers crossed and giving her a few of the ones i had with the ones she already had,now im sure my next problem will be once the 2 hatch she wont want to sit on the rest anymore,ive had that happen. i plan on getting an incubator before then so if i need to put the rest in i can. she is doing great this morning i had to move her during the day and i had read it was best to do it at night,well she settled right in on those eggs like she was the happiest chicken ever lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by