I have a broody.... Can I do this???

ladybug99

Songster
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Monroe New Jersey
I guess its that time of year again....I got myself a broody hen and she is hoarding everyones eggs and guarding them with her life. She was sitting on 17 of them today. We went thru this last year as well and let the hen hatch out the eggs and they were all roosters. So not wanting any more roosters can I purchase non fertile eggs from the grocery store... let her sit on them a few weeks and then in the middle of the night pop a few baby chicks under her?? I will be getting some in a few weeks that will all be female.

Then I can throw out the "fake eggs" and she can raise her brood??? I have tried to break her of her broodiness but not having any luck... she is actually a sweetheart, much nicer than last year's broody I feel so bad taking the eggs away from her... she is so determined!!

Yep, you don't even need to wait 3 weeks.............chickens can't count. Just slip the chicks under her at night and take away the infertile eggs.

How many chicks can you put under her?? I've been wondering the same thing while impatiently waiting for a broody!!! Good luck to you!!!

I will probally put 3 or 4 chicks under her.....she has been hoarding between 10 to 17 eggs daily so I am going to let her sit on a dozen for a few days..

Back
Top Bottom