I have a broody duck! please help with a couple of questions...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunket77, Jun 17, 2010.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I am not having much luck on the ducks section.... I started a thread here... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=360827 So I thought I might try here, I hope this is not breaking a rule or anything...

So my call is definitely broody my biggest concern is that she is not sitting on all the eggs. I am not sure how many she has but she seems to only be sitting on 3 and the rest are just in the box next to her. Should I remove the ones she isn't sitting on so they don't get mixed up or just leave them in there? I have moved her to a large dog crate so the chickens will leave her alone. I also wasn't sure if I should put her mate in with her since she is ignoring him anyway?? thanks in advance for help!

2. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd remove them, it's likely she wont be able to brood all of them, I had a rouen on 21 eggs, of them only 4 made it to term because she couldn't incubate and roll all of them. candle them to make sure they are viable and you can either artificially incubate any that wont fit under her that are alive, or cull them.

3. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    oh man well I got up this morning and she is making a terrible racket and is off the nest. If I go up to the crate she will go get back on the nest. I really hope she gets back on it! I hope I just didn't mess things up by moving her but the chickens wouldn't leave her alone. We want duckling so bad!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by