I have a broody emergency...Please Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wbruder17, Jan 11, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have these 2 broody silkies. They are sisters and practically inseperable. They commandeered the nesting box and want to set. I heard that they should be moved when they are like this for safety and privacy, as so the other girls can keep using their favorite box. So, I JUST moved them from the coop into their own private cage in the basement with a cardboard box, straw, shavings, (same bedding as the coop) and the pile of eggs they were setting on. I'm not even sure if the eggs are fertile, but might as well give it a shot if they want to.

BUT now they just want to fluff around in the shavings and eat, and their eggs are getting cold. I don't know what to do with these girls. They are VERY broody, crabby, pecking and growling. I want them to hatch chickies, but I don't know if what I am doing is wrong. Is there a certain time that's better for relocating them?

Someone please HELP!!!

2. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    We have moved broodies a few times. Sometimes it takes them a day or so to get used to the new nest. Most of them time they'll settle down before too long.

3. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    How long can eggs go cold for before they are kaput? They are now laying about a foot away from the eggs and refuse to go back to them. Should I try to warm them back up in the oven or something? This is SOOO frustrating!!!

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    you have a few hours for kaput, but you need to 'lock' them in the 'nest'. they will settle down. i use tidy cat litter containers, you can close up the front if you need to

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I'd put on a pair of leather gloves and shove the eggs back under the broodies.
    I've moved a broody, nest and all before and her hatch was still great!

6. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Buck Creek! Awesome advice! I just went down and closed them into where I want them to nest, rather than give them full access to the whole cage and they immediately started rearranging the eggs underneath them. Whoo Hoo!
    Hopefully this will work...hopefully at least one of the eggs is fertilized!

7. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Oh, also...Can I continue to add a couple of eggs to their nest if they stay on the ones they have?

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    don't let them out for at least 12 hours, it will not hurt them, 24 is better, it gets them to think where you put them is there idea [​IMG]

i move broodies all the time, my serama go broody all the time, even on a wire floor [​IMG]

9. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:the only problem is if you have fertile eggs you will have a will have a staggered hatch, your hen will not know it and leave them unhatched

10. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    What if I transferred the one batch over to the one hen and gave the other hen some new ones?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by