I have a broody hen question.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WVChickenFarmer, Apr 10, 2012.

1. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    I was wondering how hard it would be to separate her from the rest of my chickens. She has been setting on some eggs since yesterday. I checked in on my chickens this morning and the other hens had chased her off her nest. But when I went back to check on her later today she was setting on her eggs again.

If I do move her do you think she will stay with her eggs or will she try to leave them? I was thinking about moving her this evening after they all went to roost for the night. But I was not sure how she would do after I touched her eggs and moved her too.

Does any one have advice on moving her?

2. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    I tried this the other week and my hen refused to sit on her eggs in her new location [​IMG] (and it broke her broodiness!)

Then another of the hens went broody; I've left her to it. I check daily to see if there are any new eggs and remove those. Sometimes, one of the other girls will go to lay there and the broody goes off, has something to eat and drink, then stands next to the nest box where the other hen is laying ... and waits patiently for her to get off before settling herself back on her precious cargo.

That is my experience anyway.

3. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    Thanks for the help. I have decided just to leave her where she is. After the chicks are born I will remove her and the chicks from the coop.

I was just afraid she won't stay broody. Since I don't really have a good place to seperate her at this time. She would still be near the other chickens. I think she would had just tried to get back in with them. So I will just let nature take its course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by