I have a broody hen, twelve fertile eggs and no clue..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by glowgirl, Oct 8, 2011.

1. glowgirl

glowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Milwaukie
    Hi,

This is my first post here. So we got chickens last spring and one of my lovey girls, Egg, has gone broody. The lady up the road gave us 12 fertile eggs, various breeds and poor Egg is sitting in the next box where she has been for days on end. So here is my list of newbie questions.

Do I just stick the eggs under her? All at once?

Do I put food and water in the next box for her? Our nesting boxes open up to the coop and the coop is open to the whole property except at night when we lock it. They are free range ladies.

When the eggs hatch, if they hatch, are the chicks safe in the nesting box? Should I move the broody hen now, later or ????. I don't want her to hatch her chicks and then have them all fall three feet to the ground. The nest boxes have a six inch lip so eggs can't fall out.

Do I just let nature take over or what? I am very lost, any advice appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    just make sure no predators can get to them... [​IMG]

3. glowgirl

Jul 7, 2011
    Milwaukie
    They can't. I just went and stuck the eggs under my broody hen and she settled over them. I guess I will just wait and see what happens in 3 weeks.....

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If she's a good broody / mama, she'll take care of everything. She should get up, usually once a day, to eat, poop, and drink, for a few minutes. Best to leave the food and water where they are, so she can find them easily and so she'll get a little exercise. Sometime before the chicks hatch you might consider changing the feed to chick feed and setting out a little oyster shell. The chicks should not eat layer, and even if you keep it out of their reach, the mama will feed it to them. The hens can eat starter, grower, or layer, or flock raiser, if they have access to calcium.

Here's a good article about broodies:

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

5. glowgirl

Jul 7, 2011
    Milwaukie
    Thank you! Gosh I am so excited!! I wonder how many will hatch...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by