I have a broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by can you hear me now?, Nov 17, 2010.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Don't hens usually give an indication that they are going to be broody? I have a BO hen that is sitting on the egg she laid today, no indication she was going to be broody. Think I will put some more eggs under there. How many can she hatch anyone know. I have absolutely no experience with broody hens.

2. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    Broody or not this time of year is not a good time to have little babies....too darn cold. Unless you "want" to have babies and can provide a dry, warm place for two to three months....like inside your house....uuuugh !! Been there, done that....not fun ......
    I never had a broody hen during the Winter and if I did, I would take the eggs away everyday so she wont try to stay broody.
    A hen can sit on as much as 12 eggs at a time but chances are they will not all survive because there isn't enough consistent heat from the Hen to keep the embryo from completely forming.
    I usually keep 6-8 eggs under my broodey hen.
    . If she is Broody, she will get very up-set with you if you try to remove the egg from underneath her and she will peck at your hand. She will squack at you.
    A broody hen will also not leave the nesting box accept to eat and drink and defecate which is only 1/2 hour to an hour a day. She will continually sit for 23 hours a day....
    If she leaves the nest for more than a couple hours and leaves the eggs un-attended, they will not survive unless another hen takes over.
    It's really hard to keep track of who is laying on the eggs and if the broody hen is leaving for long periods at a time. The best way to see if a egg is actually fertile is to candle the egg at about two to three days after a hen has sat on them. It's better at a week to two weeks to see growth inside an egg.
    Do you have a Rooster ?

3. monathequeen

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    I didn't even think to ask if you had a Rooster or not.
    If you don't, the eggs are definately not fertile but a hen can still go boody, fertile or not...but it's just as well you get rid of the eggs if you have no Rooster...eat em....[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  4. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Lol yes I have a rooster. Am not new to chickens, just broody hens. These buff orpingtons were given to me by a friend. She got.down to eat and I took the egg. I was thinking about it myself and I don't want baby chicks this time of year. I have done it too and will never keep em indoors again. Eventually I will make a brooder coop. then this will never be an issue. Until then they will have to go broody in normal warmer weather. Almost forgot yes I have roosters. 4 of them so I know our eggs are fertile. Thanks for the replies.

5. monathequeen

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    Well with 1,118 post, you're certainly not new to this...LOL
    I'ts so much fun when I can answer some ones questions....I have plenty of problems too and rely on this site for help.....Good decision to take the eggs away for now...Broody hens will sit on air when broody so if she wants to just sit, let her sit. eventually she will realize there is no egg to turn and she will give up...Happy Thanksgiving to you....and your family.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This thread might help you. I personally think it is cruel to just let a hen stay broody. She does not eat and drink enough to stay healthy over a long time, will lose weight, and is more susceptible to parasites. If you are not going to give her fertile eggs, I recommend you break her from being broody.

Break a Broody Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2176186#p2176186

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Have you seen this? http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

It's
    a bit warmer here than there, I know, but my broody is setting on 8 eggs, and I have had them hatch this time of year in the past and survive. Actually I believe they will do fine even where you live.

There's a thread about heating coops by someone who lives in Alaska going now, and I'm pretty sure it also talks about chicks this time of year.

Your choice, of course, especiallly if you would want them separated and don't have a place yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by