8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
FL
I am so excited.
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
I am new to this whole chicken thing.

How many eggs should I put under her? She is a red rock. What time of day is the best time to put the eggs under her? Thank you so much for any and all info you can share!

First off I didn`know what a red rock was so I did a search on here.What breed will the father of the chicks be?It looks to be a big breed of bird so she can cover many eggs.I would give her between 8 and 12.

My first time with a broody hen I put too many under her. She wasn't able to cover all of them properly. And then if they all hatch, it is a lot of responsibility for a first time mom. I'd go with no more than 8, so she doesn't get overwhelmed and is able to concentrate on each of her babies.

Can you see any of the 12 eggs, or is she able to fully cover them all?

If she is covering all of them, I would let her keep them.

Thank you all very much. This is my 1st broody hen and I want to make sure that she is a happy hen.
big_smile.png

I just checked on her and she has all the eggs covered. So.......... here is hoping she is a good mamma!
wink.png

I would think she would be fine with 12 eggs. Years ago, I had a silkie hen disappear for awhile...turned out to be about 23 days. I thought she had been eaten by a coyote or other predator. Next time I saw her, she had 21 babies behind her! She obviously had a hidden nest with 21 eggs, and that little booger sat every one herself! I would never have risked letting her sit that many had I known. Of course, Ive always know that bantams, especially silkies, are very good sitters/mommas, but I sure didnt expect THAT!

I dont know if other breeds do this, as Ive never really watched others, but a silkie bantam, actually all bantams, will rotate the eggs every so often to keep each at an acceptable temperature.

Good luck to you and to her!

Back
Top Bottom