I have a broody LEGHORN!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wjallen05, May 28, 2010.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    at first I thought there was something wrong with her because she wouldn't get off the nest. She stays on it day and night. I have to take her off to collect the eggs, she puffs her feathers up at me, screeches very loudly, and then jumps back on the nest. I have an EE hen that went broody at the same time. But I can't believe my Leghorn is broody!!! I thought they never set?!?! She is an Ideal 236 Leghorn (1 1/2 years old). I didn't have any fertile eggs, so I got some fertilized Silkie eggs from a good friend and put some under each hen and they are happy as can be. Hope they hatch them. My last broody hen experience didn't go so well, both my Silkie hens went broody but they got off their nests a day too early and the babies died- I even candled them and they had been growing. SO sad.

I will get pics since yall probably won't believe me... hehe

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. Panhanle RIR

Panhanle RIR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Texas County, Oklahoma
    Well the problem with production breeds that go broody is they generaly abandon the nest or are not good moms

3. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    The world is ending!! AHHHH!

4. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    The world is ending!! AHHHH!

LOL. Well I thought it was the strangest thing seeing a Leghorn hen all broody.​

5. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    thats so awesome!! hahaha who woulda guessed? one year i had a nervous little buttercup go broody, and she was a great mama, so good luck!! keep us updated. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by