I have a broody question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crooked stripe, Sep 13, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have a Bo hen sitting on 12 eggs. Yesterday was day 21. I heard some peeping at around 3:30 in the afternoon. Not a sound since. I looked in on her this morning and saw an egg shell just sticking out from under her. I did raise some feathers and did see a small tan and white chick. What do I do now if anything? Remove the shells if there are more hatched out chicks. I don't want to raise her and bother her to look. What do you folks have to add? John

2. GoodyChickenShz

GoodyChickenShz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2007
    The CA High Desert
    I'm no expert but most people say to leave them alone and the momma will do all that needs to be done. In my own flock, most times when I've seen the baby chick is when the momma goes out to stretch her legs. I took the latest baby when momma wasn't looking and put her in a brooder inside the house. I only did this because I've already had several chicks not make it and I wanted to make sure this one survives. Otherwise, I would have left it with the momma. Hope that helps and good luck!

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    We pulled the empty shell out after the chick hatched only because it was on the side of the nest and easy to grab without bothering my broody. Otherwise, we just left her alone until she was done hatching, I gave mine three extra days (Day 24) before moving the eggs that didn't hatch.

4. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    In my many trips to take a look I have seen 3 so far. 1 black with a charcoal breast, 1 one tan with a darker tan saddle on its back and one yellow with dark tan markings. I did remove a piece of shell that was laying to the broodies side and she had a fit so I put it back in. I bought a dozen bantam hatching eggs and placed them under her. Those banties sure small compared to the buff orp chicks. John

5. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    You don't have to clean the eggshells, the hen will eat them.

I hope to see pics soon! lol [​IMG]

6. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Pics will be coming tomorrow. Son in law borrowed my camera for a day. I caught the hen standing and there where 7 total, I disposed 3 unhatched eggs. Shells missing so Rio_ Lindo_ 97 explains that ? I had 14 total eggs from the hatchery so some disappeared ? I have that question in the hatching section. I hope someone comes up with a good answer. 14 eggs- 7 peeps- 3 eggs disposed of = 4 missing?????????????? Maybe someone here will also help figure this one out. John

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    In my many trips to take a look

Ha, ha! That was me too. I bet a wore a new path to the coop checking on my broody and her new baby and waiting for more. [​IMG] Very good exercise though. [​IMG]

8. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Well you ask for it here they are-- enjoy

[​IMG]

9. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    [​IMG]

10. crooked stripe