I have a broody silkie-!!!! dang it NOOOOO

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sonew123, Nov 12, 2010.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Ok this girl ( split lav silkie) has been fighting being broody for a few weeks and finally after 3 days I realized shes totally broody. My other split hens keep laying under her and I keep pulling them out 2-3 times a day so one doesnt slip by!!! I need her eggs darn it ..LOL Doesnt she know I have orders.. hehe

My problem..Im almost tempted to let her hatch some-its so cold out now that she would have a heck of time keeping those babies warm through their first month or so until they fluff better...now I find myself looking at the auctions..ahhhh I have my own eggs I should cook..hmmmm maybe just one of this and one of that and have a smorgeborgue ( sp) hatch???

Let me make this clear though the chicks will NOT be going in my house as I have 37 eggs in lockdown and 11 chicks in brooders in kitchen-no more house!

what would you do? break her of her broodiness for her eggs ( because when I sell them.. it covers their food) or let her be broody and not have any eggs for 8 weeks or more with her! IDK IDK IDK

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'd let her hatch, but as my signature line says, I'm a chicken hoarder. [​IMG] Not sure I'm much help.

3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    If you have orders to fill, I would break her up and try to get her laying again. Unless you want to buy some eggs and have her hatch them. It is getting colder and you will have a time keeping them warm up North. If she were mine I would let her brood, but then again it was 80 here today. [​IMG]

4. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Give in to the hatch Nat... remain on the darkside.... MWAHAHAHAHA

5. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I would let her hatch some out if she is really, truly broody. In my mind, it just goes against nature to keep her from what her body is really telling her to do. If she is a little Silkie, that isn't many eggs to be short of in your orders, anyway. Let her hatch out something interesting. She will probably be fine keeping them warm, as long as she has good shelter, and is well-fed.

6. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Nat just remember she probably will not be able to cover a turkey poult for long, do you REALLY want a turkey inside all winter???

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:your no help... some of her eggs were supposed to be going to you to hatch! hahaha I gave in to the darkside again since chickenstock-I mean I hatched from Dec 2010 right straight through the Summer then for two months I was FREEEEEE.. Now Im a hostage again in my own kitchen hahaha
    I wouldnt buy any eggs unless something REALLY caught my eye as I have all the breeds I truly want-nw I wish my Lav orps were laying-my SLbrahmas-BLRW any of them dang it but noooo only the eggs I sell and are sold for weeks ahead of time are available unless I want to hatch out mutt eggs and Im not into mixing at this point:-( Like I said My midget white started laying so I might stick 2 of those under her:)

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Dora'smom :

I would let her hatch some out if she is really, truly broody. In my mind, it just goes against nature to keep her from what her body is really telling her to do. If she is a little Silkie, that isn't many eggs to be short of in your orders, anyway. Let her hatch out something interesting. She will probably be fine keeping them warm, as long as she has good shelter, and is well-fed.

my pens are inside and could easily put her in a brooder cage in the silkie pen-she could keep nice and warm and safe from the other silkies in that pen for a good long time before they would need to come out of cage:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by