I have a BROODY!!!!

Barbara9642

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
LOL - my first, can you tell? She started to sit during the day on the 4th, got off that night to feed, back on, back off on the 5th, last night did not get off at all. I noticed a new egg every day she did get off, and no, it wasn't another hen. This one is sitting in a little spot she made for herself in the barn and the others are locked up in the chicken house. So, I would guess if I could look under her she would not be laying anymore. I calculate around the 27 of july if I am correct- ironically the same due date as my grandson:lol:

So, what next peoples?????

Mark her eggs so that if another hen does get in there and lay an egg, you'll know which one it is and can take it out. Leave food and water nearby, but not right next to, and absolutely NOT IN the nest. She'll get off the nest once or twice a day to eat, drink, and produce a huge, foul-smelling broody poop.

Check under her daily for the first few days, to make sure she's not pooping in the nest. They usually don't, but sometimes a new broody has a learning curve. If she does, then take her off the nest once or twice a day, until she gets the idea and does it on her own.

If there are no other hens with access to her nest, and she's not pooping in it and she's not stepping on the eggs and breaking them, you can probably just let her brood in peace, maybe check under her every 3 or 4 days.

From day 18, leave her alone. After day 21, at some point she'll get off the nest and start teaching her babies all about how to be a chicken.

Have fun, good luck, enjoy your new chicks, and your new grandson!

Quote:
Why is it a problem? Is the egg not fertile? Do you have any more you can add, so she's not hatching one lone egg? It's better to have several at once, at least 4.

Good luck.

I put a waterer next to her day before yesterday- I will move it out a bit. I am somewhat leary of putting any food there- the rooster is wandering around ticked off. I won't let him in the hen house cause he is beating up my rhode island and easter eggers, and this hen won't get off the nest and be his little lady, so he needs an attitude adjustment. I may have to adjust his attitude into the stew pot.

I have not picked her up, because I am afraid of disturbing her. And that hissing thing is a hoot! Should I make her get off and check under her- I went out before work and thought she was dead. She doesn't move. No, she isn't dead, she hissed when I touched her.

Next question- I have a lead on a hovabator for 100 this week. Whole set up 9200 I think, with thermometer, fan, turner. Should I still get it or will this hen continue to brood if I purchase different eggs? She is a Buff Orphington, but what I really want are some more rhode islands and leghorns.

Thanks- and I didn't disappear after posting- the site wouldn't load for me yesterday.

Last edited:
I have 3 broody hens right now...this is there first year...when they come off the nest they are crazy acting...they beat up any hen that get in there way..they take a dust bath, eat, drink and did I tell you they beat up anyone that gets in there way...were all in trouble when the eggs hatch... and the poor little cornish rooster gets the blunt of all of them for some reason. BROODY HENS are really frightening!! They rule the roost, the run...they have even run me!!!hahaha
lau.gif

Gotta Love em!!

LOL Barbara I've experiensed that hissing & the "angry face" when you dare to venture near their nest & it is scary isn't it? LOL I too have a Orpington & actually 2 of them & I just let them sort of do their thing. They were both young & not a year old but both were good about not popping in their nest etc. Both of mine had decided they were going to nest in the coop with all of the others. They did not move off that nest for the first 2 wks that I'd seen them do it though I'm sure they must have at some point, but I think for them it's their way of ensuring no one else gets to their nest. I had just posted a small video of them onanother thead here asking about slipping chicks/eggs under a hen & I'd commented on all of them since they've been hatched. I did move 1 of the girls out & to a rabbit hutch about a wk or so into her sitting & they were each on 1 egg & so I'd slipped either extra eggs under them or already hatched chicks. When moving them that hissing is not them kidding & so I made hubby do it. LOL you want long sleeves & gloves. Amazing how a sweet lil orpington can go from angelic like to having the face of the tazmanian devil when they see you coming to them.... & of course I always do everything with them at night under dark. But I swear those orpingtons will just accept anything slipped under them & swoop it under themselves with a wing. It's been a real education having them broody & hatching out chicks & I think they're much better at it than us.

One of mine that is setting is a buff..she is the meanest one...she likes to get a hold of my skin and twist it. I have a black austrolorp hen that runs around with her wings all fluffed and clucking the whole time. None of the hens can look at her without her beating them up!! The new hampshire does the same thing, but not as bad. In the evening I will go out and watch them. I really feel sorry for the hens that are not broody. I also have a blue cochin, she went broody and the other chickens destroyed her nest..I had hatched out 12 chicks. I brought her into the brooder to see if she would except the chicks..she was so sweet...she looked at the chicks and sat down...it took them a little while...then the chicks started going under her..now they are out in there own pen so no other chicken can bother them. I checked on them this morning and they are doing GREAT!!
ya.gif
ya.gif

Quote:
I laughed the whole time reading your post because the Ausrolorp I have (pictured here) can be SO mean to the others that hubby was just saying the other day "she is a beotch!" To us she is a darling but to the rest of the chickens she makes SURE they know who is the queen & she has not gone broody! LOL Anyway I had to laugh at your speaking of how all your broodies are acting. I was just amazed that mine are normally so sweet & then when broody they look so evil if you go near them...

I called the hubby, at work, and explained that I would be on the couch when he got home tonight, (he works 3-11) and he was to wake me up so we could go to the barn and pick up that hen and check under her. He thinks I'm nuts, but tolerates me well. Also told him I was going to get that incubator this weekend.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom