I have a broody!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hollywood Chickens, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I have had chickens for 2 years and this is my first one!!!

It has been storming for the past few days so I have been a little late in collecting the eggs.
    She has been at it for 2 days, I don't have a rooster so the eggs can't hatch and I don't need more chickens, so my mother won't let me get eggs for her, but the feed store has some gorgeous Delawares, so how long do I have to wait before I can put chicks under her?

She is a 19 month old Australorp.

and now for the broody mama pictures!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She has pulled all of her feathers off her stomach, and I don't think she has left the nest in 2 days.

2. Hi Sara! Yaay for a new broody hen! Cute pics!
    With a first-time broody (and only 2 days into it), I'd not try or be veryvery careful 'slipping her chicks'.
    It's possible you could take the eggs and give her the chicks in the night and she'd accept and raise them. It's just as likely, she'd toss them out of the nest as 'intruders' --- but you won't know unless you try.
    IF you do try it, be prepared to watch her and the chicks with a 'heated brooder situation' for the chicks if she rejects them. Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Very awesome a beautiful hen!

4. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Y'all'd better listen to yo' mama!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  5. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    She has been at it for 5 days, I have been rotating 4 fresh eggs under her, and she has dutifully sat on them even when the hens peck her or treats are given out and even in the blazing heat she wouldn't get up for a drink, I had to drip water in her beak because she was getting awfully hot.

I am planning to put 4 chicks under her tomorrow night, will she take them after only 6 days of being broody?

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:It's one of those "you won't know until you try" kind of things. I've had good luck with it even with first time broodies and giving the chicks to them early, but it doesn't always work so be prepared in case you have to brood the chicks yourself. I put them under the hen (not just next to) at night and try not to get the flashlight beam on her any more then you have to. It's very normal for her to peck a bit, but I've found if I get the light turned off and just stand there for a bit the chicks get comfy uneder then hen and the hen goes back to sleep. When mine wake up in the morning they've all been very happy with their new family. I do stand around in the dark for 10 minutes or so to make sure the hen doesn't go off the deep end and throw the chicks out of the nest. Best of luck and be sure to update--pictures are a plus! [​IMG]

7. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Thanks for the info! I have never had a broody before and I am really excited.

I will take plenty of pictures!

8. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:Y'all'd better listen to yo' mama!

[​IMG] she doesn't want any roosters, but said that I could get 4 female chicks and I will just sell some of my older hens.

9. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I successfully moved her into a dog crate, so she will be safe with her chicks.

How long should she stay in there with the chicks?

10. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I usually keep them in one of my two dog kennels for a few days until I know they've bonded and momma will watch out for the chicks and then let them out with the rest of the flock. It depends on your flock though and the momma hens place in it. If she's low on the pecking order and you have a few bullies you'll probably want to keep them seperate longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by