I have a bunch of chicks! Pics on post 155

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Buster, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I candled 44 chicken eggs tonight before I put them in the 1588 for hatching in the morning. Out of the 44, 43 had viable embryos. I had one small white egg from a polish that was clear. I am amazed. I have NEVER had this kind of result. I better build more brooders. [​IMG]

I need to edit this. I remember now that I had 40/44 eggs good. I had moved three bullet shaped eggs to the back as I was candling and added them to the total by mistake. Still, that's 90% of the eggs that developed.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    glad to see it is going the way you want it too. i have one out of the shell and six pip's and 29 more to go, but they are aday early. keep me posted and pic's when they get here. william

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Sounds good. I forgot to add that these 44 were all set together. I haven't removed any eggs since day 1 when I put them in. So out of a total of 44 eggs on day 1, 43 made it to day 18.

4. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    wow thats incredible... congratulations

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:I think it's because I had 6 roosters and 30 hens at the time I collected them. I've downsized a bit since then. (That means I got rid of all my fake chickens and a couple of roosters. [​IMG] )

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  6. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    Yeah, Thanks for all your extra Birds Jared! [​IMG] I hope all of these chicks hatch well. I never knew what monster I'd be creating when I helped get you into incubating! Looks like you're a natural! [​IMG]

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Hardly a natural Laura. I just had to tweak things until I go them right and also wait for my birds to get with the program as well. I am not sure how many hatches I tried before things started going better. Let this be a notice to anyone starting out hatching- there are lots and lots of variables. There are a lot of things that can go wrong. It will probably not go just right your first time or even your first 6 times. Practice practice practice. Get all the advice you can and practice. Talk to people who are incubating locally and find out their tricks and what works for them in the environment you live it. It can be done. I'm proof. Thanks to BYC for being a bunch of enablers and pushing me to try more. [​IMG]

8. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

[​IMG] Jared!!

Lots of birdies coming at ya soon!

[​IMG] counting the days... *snickering*

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Day 18 here. [​IMG]

I just went down and moved the tray from the sportsman to the 1588 and found out that the sportsman trays fit quite nicely in the 1588. [​IMG]
    I just picked up the whole tray and set the entire thing in the HB.

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I hear peeping! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by