i have a casuality

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MyNameIs86, Mar 16, 2013.

1. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    I tried to help a chick hatch. And got it out of shell. But this is what i found

[​IMG]

Its not breathing too good and part of it is like shrinked. III don't know what the red thing is but I know it's not good. poor chick

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

it looks deformed somehow.

i would euthanize it.

I put a small piece of dry ice in a ziplock container. the chick will go to sleep and not feel a thing. carbon dioxide levels go up after 20 minutes flush down the loo.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  3. GrammaNeceto3

GrammaNeceto3 New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    This is such a hard thing to deal with. Is it alive?

4. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    its breathing...but barely. it also moves ever so slightly. i have it in a cereal container. it is cold, and the feet are white. Poor thing.
    i don't have dry ice i just have ice that comes in my freezer.

i washed my hands 3-5+ times after handling the bird and the container. it was peeping a bit when i first helped it. perhaps i shouldn't have done anything?? but it was a bit shrink wrapped with yolk around the leg. :(.

It's my first ever casuality where it kind of looks like that. i had one last year that just died trying to hatch. I rreally hate this part of the hatch. i have put 3 chicks that are really fluffy in the brooder box and leaving the rest in the incubator. I have one that has just pipped but i'm not holding my breath. But i dunno. i'm not going to help any more. i just don't know how and don't have the strength emotionally...

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

dry ice is solid carbon dioxide, not water

regular ice will kill it but not painlessly.

it sure is a tough part

hang in there

6. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    I used baking soda and vinegar in a ziplock bag for one like this and it stopped breathing in about 1 min. I have one that hatched and is not able to use it's legs...will be doing the same thing soon. Your chick needs to be put down now, it will not recover.

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

8. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    It has died on its own. I kind of just threw. It in the trash boon because our i had buried it outside i am sure that some animal would dig it up and would get sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by