I have a chance to get a rare pheasant some help please

Wolrep

Songster
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
I have been slowly building my collection here in FL. Tonight i got offered to buy a pair of Malaysian Crested Fireback Pheasants (the veillots spices). I am debating weather to try this pair or not. There isn't much on the internet about them. Can anyone suggest somewhere where i can look to find out more about these. Dose anyone have any experience with these pheasants? He also has a pair of siamese creasted Fireback Pheasants that i am considering as well. Has anyone had these? Any info or derection to info will be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I have a pair of M Firebacks. A friend had the Si. They are very similar to Silver pheasants in a lot of ways....size, temperament and needs, a little flightier. Here in Fl you don't have to worry about heating them....

thanks for the reply. Do you happen to have a pic of your pair i would love to see.

Get'em before their gone.What's there to guess on?You said it yourself"I'm slowly building my pheasant collection".So build it don't procrastinate.
I raise the siamese here in N.H. a few years ago,and I din't do to good with them.I bought 2 trios and was down to a pair within 3 months.They don't do good in trios.
What other species do you raise?
In N.H.,Tony.

The pair i am being offered is a established pair. Just for the amount of money i will have to pay to get the pair i would like to be sure that they are worth the investment into them. Nothing is worst then buying something expensive like them and have them die on you. So far i have in my pheasant collection one breading pair of unrelated goldens and 5 unrelated juvi's 3 males and 2 females. Also raising up some jumbo ringnecks and i have three baby unrelated green malanistic pheasants. Heading this weekend to pick up a pair of golden pheasants and maybe a swinhoe pair if the price is right. Looking for someone that has lady amherst pair or juvi's,

Would you mind sharing what caused you to lose the one's you got? Ive herd that they can be super aggressave and should be kepted by them selves and only be put togeather with the female once she lays an egg then seperated again once she stops. Any truth to that?

Yes there nothing worst then spending good money and they die,but that goes with the hobby.Birds seem to drop dead for no reason and you beat your brains out trying to figure it out.I bought 2 trios and housed them together.It was long before breeding season so I figured I was good.Well within 2 weeks one male was dead,and then the hens started to get killed off.Yes,by the other firebacks.Being it wasn't even close to breeding season I figured everyone would get along,but not this breed.They do pairs and pairs only anytime of the year.
I have 4 pairs of 2012 hatch amherst,4 pairs of silvers,2 pair of eliots,1 [air of yellow goldens,and 5 unsexed impeyans.
In N.H.,Tony.

Here is one.

I like the Bornean ones but they are also very bad with aggression towards hens.
A friend of mine has one that attacks him so bad that he has taken the bolt off the door to stop anyone going into the pen.

Every aggressive bird I've had has been an excellent breeder and very fertile.Well with the exception of the siamese firebacks.
In N.H.,Tony.

oh MY GOSH Adriano! Those are unbelievable! I love pheasants SOOOO much. I'm a total newb and just got my very first pair of Amherst this year...well, let me correct myself...I bought 3 Amherst chicks and 4 Swinhoe's chicks...once I put them in separate pens and they got a bit bigger, I opened the door to the Swinhoe's pen and one escaped...as the Amherst grew, out of nowhere I went down to feed and two had pecked the skin almost clean off the 3rd one's head. I assumed the 3rd was a second male and blue sprayed him and put him in his own pen thinking the other two would be fine...WRONG! Those two started fighting too! So, at that point I had 3 Amherst in 3 pens and 3 Swinhoe's in 1 pen...well, they continued to grow and whatdya know EVERY DANG ONE OF THEM BIRDS ARE ROOSTERS! Just my luck I tell ya! Anyway, a couple weekends ago I lucked out and found a young Amherst hen for sale at the Flea Mkt. Took her home, put her in with one of the boys and next mornin....her head was nearly torn clean off!!! Blue sprayed her, put her in her own pen and now have 4 Amherst in 4 pens! Crazy thing is, the Swinhoe's don't bother each other one bit...but they hiss and growl and jump at me every time I go down there! LOL Crazy birds! No matter...One day I plan to have a large, beautiful aviary full of different pheasant breeds and another one full of exotic waterfowl! Hey, a gal can dream can't she!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom