I have a chance to import some eggs from Ireland :D

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Colorist, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Colorist

Colorist Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2010
    Talked to a new BYC'er from Ireland who wants to trade for some eggs for a breed they don't have over there... some of you may have seen the post. I KNEW there were some breeders with them here in Texas, so I was quick to contact the BYC'er and now they are hunting for some breeds we don't have here in the US... I was thinking the silver barnevelders or some nice quality brabanters?

I don't know what I'll end up trading for, but I REALLY hope everything turns out well! And hopefully I'll have some new rare eggs in my incubator [​IMG]

I know the journey may be long and hard, but I'm willing to do it!

I'll keep you guys updated!

2. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    How exciting !!!

3. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

What breedS?

4. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I sure hope you go through the proper channels. Importing eggs through the mail service without going through the medical checks of the flocks, and quarantines are required too I believe, is illegal. I don't know all of the rules to this, but I do know you don't want to get caught doing it illegally, it's like a $50,000.00 fine! It is a very expensive process and very time consuming, that is why more folks aren't doing it. To bring eggs into the country illegally also poses the threat of importing diseases. If you know the proper channels, then I am sorry for posting this, but when I saw two newbies thinking of this, it sent up a red flag to me.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Great point to bring up, Debbi [​IMG]

But, if you guys do manage to pull this project off, I am sure there will be lots of interest in the breeds [​IMG]

6. Colorist

Colorist Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2010
    Quote:I talked to the USDA about this before I joined BYC when I was trying to contact a breeder in England. I have done extensive research since then, and now that there was an opportunity I just... had to do it [​IMG]

7. misschickenlittle

misschickenlittle REALLY wants a new title

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    Wow! That is awesome! Good luck!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Good deal! I wish you great luck with it!

9. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Quote:x2!

10. Harris5

Harris5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Northern CA
    Quote:x2!

X3!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by