I have a chick who has scissor beak.

Apr 8, 2022
I have a three week old Americana chick who has scissor beak. Do ya'll have any advice of how to take care of her scissor beak ????? Is there any cure that works for it???

If you do a search for scissor beak, there are quite a few threads with some good advice on how to care for them. Unfortunately, no, there is no cure. Also, the beak will probably get worse as your chick gets older. Some of the most common advice is to have a shallow feeder so she can scoop rather than peck the food. Also try feeding moist food as it may be easier to eat. Some people go so far as tube feeding their cross beak birds.
Do make sure to weigh her regularly! We unfortunately decided to cull our scissor beak boy around 5 months of age because his beak was so severe, he simply could not eat enough to maintain his weight while also trying to protect his girls.

For what its worth, we have had a few chicks with scissor beak over the years and in each case it has improved/disappeared as the chickens matured, so its not hopeless! I dampened their food when they were little so it was easier to scoop up (just change it 2x per day or so, so that it doesn't spoil). Good luck!

IMG_0828.jpg
IMG_0829.jpg

I got in touch with a friend who is a poultry vet and she said just to focus on giving her wet food and making sure she is active.

Hi-My Beakie is now 3 years old. Her beak got worse as she aged and now the lower beak comes out of her head at about 90 degrees to her her upper beak. I make her smoothies of Layer Crumbles, Mealworms, raisins and hot water all whirled up in the Cuisinart. I also give her showers in the sink a couple of times a week. She's my best layer and is the tamest of all. She has a date with her doctor to have her beaks and toenails trimmed coming up. Her sisters are all much bigger than she. Her vet suggested adding oil to the smoothies but that made the baths much less effective and I had to actually use soap to clean her up. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom