I have a chick with blue legs? Is that normal? UPDATE looking better

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Knix6468, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Knix6468

Knix6468 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Gaston Oregon
    [​IMG]
    In picture From Left to right just legs Opal, in the back Purple pied, on 2x4 blue legs was from an egg marked silver pied black shoulder purple,
    then we have a silver pied looking at the camera, and one of our black shoulders India blue.

Our other India blue have brown legs, not blue.

Is this normal?[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. Knix6468

May 25, 2011
    Gaston Oregon
    One more picture of his back, What do you think his coloring will be, will he be a purple pied? purple black shoulder pied? what would I call him,, right now he is named Blue [​IMG]
    We have tentatively named the pied in the picture Dr Evil. because he has "evil eyebrows" right above his beak on each side.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  3. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I think the legs are just turning grey. Like you know how most adult peafowl have grey legs except for maybe whites which have pink legs but I noticed this with my peachick...As they get older their legs slowly turn from pink to grey. At least to me the legs look grey.[​IMG]

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    All my adults have grey legs... Were they always grey from hatching or is this a recent change you noticed?

5. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I had to go out and check the color of my purple blackshoulder from PBSSP, which is about 7 weeks old and a purple pied chick nearly a month old, plus a spauling pied chcik also a month old, and none have legs that are changing to a darker color yet.
    I bred parrots many years ago & the cicks I raised would have legs that turn dark as they grew up, or have a lot of sunlight.
    I am curious what others with more experience with peas will say!

6. Knix6468

May 25, 2011
    Gaston Oregon
    Thanks for answering!! I looked my regular india blue chicks that are the same age, and their legs are darkening up too but they are a more greyer color than the "blue legs", but I noticed their toenails are
    dark color too. I think why his lets look so weird is that Blue's toenails are PINK.

And these birds are in natural sunlight, they are in our greenhouse.

[​IMG]
    Here he is the morning he hatched. on 7/6 so I guess he is a few days shy of 30 days old.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  7. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Very unique I'd say [​IMG]

8. Knix6468

May 25, 2011
    Gaston Oregon
    As the chick is growing his legs are looking less and less odd . His toenails are now matching his legs. Sorry he wouldnt hold still for a picture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    My 1.5 year old cameo split to peach peacock has purple legs too LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by