I have a chicken living in my bathroom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nigellas, May 25, 2010.

1. Nigellas

Nigellas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    And I knew that if anyone would understand, it would be here!

2 nights ago something got in to our coop and gave my sweet Cochin Emmaline a nasty bite - Luckily we were up and heard the noise before things could escalate. After a visit to the vet she has a drainage tube a few stitches and is on antibiotics and pain medicine.

I went there thinking she would have to be euthanized, but the vet thought she would have a chance at healing well as long as she is able to continue eating and drinking. She isn't eating her own food, but I've been able to get some watermelon and rice into her. She is just so sweet through this... Lets me give her medication and put her cream on without a fuss at all.

Please keep her in your thoughts - I really hope she can heal.

here she is before the attack (she's always had a crooked beak):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. Sounds like she's getting top notch care! I have a hospital/bathroom always ready for an injured critter.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Her chances will be better if you can keep her eating. I have always found that to be the a major step. You will be surprised how fast they heal.

Early last year Caramel lived in the living room for almost 3 months recovering from a hawk attack. It took so long because of the head trauma and the fact that she was almost dead. Caramel was force fed for almost 2 weeks because she could not see. One eye was blind and the other was swollen shut, then fully dialated(head trauma). She recovered.

Matt

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH! I sure wish your little hen the best of luck! Poor think, but she's lucky to have you for her mom! xoxo

5. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    I agree that if you can keep her eating, she should recover. I HAD a Raccoon hanging out around my coop. The key word there is Had, I'm far enough out of the city, & in a township where a 12 gauge shotgun solved my issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by