I have a Chicken that is laying mishaped eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cockadoodledon't, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey all,
    I have a chicken that has been laying oblong, flattened appearing eggs.
    I think she is my hen that began laying eggs that had soft spots and holes in her eggs. I feed my chickens back their egg shells
    and after noting the egg that has soft spots and holes started feeding them oyster shells. This seemed to cure the soft spots, now it is just the oblong and flattened egg.

I have nicknamed her "Flat Phyllis", although, all my hens look identical and I am not 100% sure which one she is right now.
    I am interested in what you have to offer and if this is anything to be concerned about.
    I can post a pic in a day or so as I am at work right now a hundred miles away.

Also, none of the other birds have any problems with their eggs.
    Thanks!
    **Cockadoodledon't** [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. Farmer Benjii

Farmer Benjii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Vic, AUS
    pic please

eta: first [​IMG]

3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    hmm thats interesting, I am interested to see the posts on this. I have gotten some funny shaped eggs before, and I still dont have a uniform shape to mine... how old are they???

4. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    It could be hereditary.
    My original Polish hen, BonBon, lays kinda pointy eggs with wrinkles on the small end. Her spring chicks, (who just started laying!) lay slightly less oblong eggs, but they still have the wrinkles on the small end!
    I have NEVER heard of a flattish egg though- subscribing!

5. Cockadoodledon't

Quote:My birds were spring hatch.
    They have been laying regular since around September

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I have one doing that too. I do not know which one of the 24 it is. I have seen two and they are both very recent so it is a newbie at 6 mo. (Some started at 4 mo) I am thinking it will improve over time. They taste the same but do not fit an egg carton. [​IMG]

7. Cockadoodledon't

I have pics of the eggs now....I have even uploaded to the site, but, cant figure out how to post to here. Help?

8. Cockadoodledon't

Ah--HA!!! Figured it out

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  9. Cockadoodledon't

Here are pics, you can see in the carton, obviously, which one is hers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

My red sex link lays eggs that look weirder than that. Hers looks like potatoes all misshapen and odd looking.
    One of my Giants lays eggs like yours so I don't think it is anything to worry with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by