I have a chicken that looks a little scruffy...

cozycrestmom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Not sure why, Is it the season for them to do that? they get to go out if they want.. We open up the little door in the back of the coop to the run.. I know it is winter here in Maine,,, but they have the option to stay in or wonder out... they get all the laying pellets they want, fresh water...
My husband brought out some bird seed that we used to feed the wild birds, until the bears started coming around anyways..! But he takes a hand full and tosses it out into the run every now and then.. Could this be a problem?

Really,, Mites... It's so cold out... and how can they get mites.. I've been so good making sure they have a clean coop... Tomorrow I'm going to take a pic and hopefully figure out how to post it on here... I checked them this morning for mites,, didn't see anything...
Bummer,, I'l get some powder and dust them and the coop.. It can't hurt..
Thanks for helping me out..

Quote:
When the songbirds hang around the chickens or the run, they can jump off them. Even if you keep a really clean coop.

Also, whenever my chickens have the Northern Fowl Mite, I never see them on the chickens, try as I might to spot them. I find them on ME and they bite.
sickbyc.gif

Make sure you repeat treatment in around 10 days to get the eggs if you really want to finish out the treatment. I hope it all works out for you!!!

Oh- I just reread your post- birdseed is a fine treat for chickens. See my recipe that I feed mine- it includes millet, BOSS, and nyjer thistle seeds- all birdseed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom