I have a cochin who doesn't seem to want to leave the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by catlvr976, Mar 6, 2013.

1. catlvr976

catlvr976 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    I am still pretty new to all this, but I'm wondering if she might be starting to go broody?

She is either hanging out in the coop (she used to roam around my yard with her buddies) or sitting on a nest. When you touch her, she makes this odd, purry type sound. I can't really describe it.

Is she getting sick maybe?

Thanks!

2. catlvr976

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    I think I may have my answer. I went out there to check, and sure enough, she was still sitting there, so I touched her and she made that weird noise again. I put 2 eggs near to her, she took them and rolled them underneath herself.

I am set to get some fertile eggs tomorrow, as I have no rooster. Could I attempt to let her hatch a few? How will I know she is serious?

3. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Is she is Cochin, she is serious. The make great setters & mothers. Give her the eggs & let her do her thing

4. catlvr976

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    Is this unusual b/c she has only laid a few eggs so far....I guess what I mean is it too early for her? She is 31 weeks old. She does occasionally roam about the yard but then runs right back to where she's been sitting. She is also eyeing us up something fierce when we go into the coop. She is not pecking at us when we reach toward her, though. If she's standing right by the nest box, if you approach her, she will back up towards the nest.

Thanks again!!

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Has she been setting on the the nest over night for more than two nights? Many use that as the definitive test for broodiness. The age of the hen doesn't stop them from going broody. If they can lay an egg they can go broody. My last broody was about the age yours is.

6. catlvr976

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    You know, I'll have to look tonight. Usually my kids go out and close them up in the evening, so I honestly can't answer that. I will check tonight.

7. catlvr976

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    Ok, last night she spent the night on the nest. However, she kept moving from one empty nest to one that I put some eggs in (the ended up coming a day early). It's like she can't make her mind up. Or is it something else? Thanks for all your help!!

8. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Does she prefer one nest over the other? Maybe you could try putting the eggs in the nest prefers.

9. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Sometimes with multiple look alike nests they get confused when they come back after a quick bite to eat. That is one reason many will move a broody out of the coop.

10. catlvr976

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    Well, last night we tried to move her into a covered catbox along with the eggs. She still insists on sitting in the other one--I'd leave her, but everyone else seems to want to lay their eggs in that box. IDK what to do. I would've loved for her to hatch out some eggs if that's what she wanted to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by