I have a concern about blackhead please help !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessaw1981, Sep 21, 2010.

1. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    We just lost out turkey due to dog attack. Now before I got on byc and knew anything about turkeys I kept the turkey and hens together. They grew up that way for a day old. He protected them like he was a big rooster. I have a friend that her brother has turkeys and chickens they said we could have one its about 3 mo. old. After I agreed they said that they were going to have to do something different because there turkeys only last about 3 mo. and die from blackhead. He told me the little ones have never touched the ground at all because he is afraid. My question is I don't want to infect my flock. But he says they have had no contact. Now I know it don't effect chickens most of the time. But aparently mine don't have it or my turkey would have died correct ? please help me. we really want another turkey but am unsure.

2. jessaw1981

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    I looked at the link but I know what it is so that really don't answer my question.

3. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    There is no commercial test for histomonas, the diagnosis is done at necropsy. Really the only way you will know if you can keep turkeys is to get one and see if it gets sick (or not). Most places that have chickens have the organism in the soil, the earthworms & the cecal worms in the chickens. You can decrease the possibility of transmission by being very clean, moving feeders & waters often, deworming for cecal worm often, and keeping the ground as dry as you can. If the turkey does get sick and the symptoms match with the disease- you can contact a vet for prescription meds to treat (as long as the turkey is not going to be eaten or the eggs be eaten). Getting blackhead is not always a death sentence- it can be treated, if infection is not massive- and caught early. It is not transmitted through the egg- so if you are planning to bring in a poult that has hatched in a bator and never been on the ground or around older turkeys- it is probably clean- BUT the turkey could still get sick once brought to your place. Just because your adult turkey did not get sick- does not mean you do not have the organism. Adults are more resistant, and they still have to ingest the organism to get sick- he may just have been lucky.

4. jessaw1981

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    Quote:Thanks so much. I am not sure how it was hatched. But he swears the little ones are by there selves and never touched the ground. I thought my ground was clean because I got my turkey as a day old with about 14 day old chicks he came as well as the chicks mm hatchury. they were let out at about 3 weeks old to get bugs / grass ect. And he was always fine. I was just worried if he had it and no signs yet he could give it to all my chickens. I don't want that. Thanks again for all your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by