I have a couple of chicks I need help identifying, both came from TSC

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lord_Vulcanizer, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Lord_Vulcanizer

Lord_Vulcanizer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Hi, how is everyone. This will be my first post on this site. Bonus is it will contain pics. Pics are always better right? Well they are if one knows what they are pics of anyway [​IMG] Thats why I am here. I got these guys from the Tractor Supply Co. store. I got 12 of the lil yellow chicks and 6 of the brown ones. The yellow ones were listed as pullets and the browns listed as straight run chicks. Noone in the store had a clue as to what kind they were...all they could say was they are baby chicks...duh.

Anyway after several days of searching and reading I have still come up empty handed. So I just decided to give in and ask and see if anyone here might know what these chicks will grow into. It's been a good long while since I raised any chicks so you guys wish me luck. I've already had these guys close to a week with no apparent problems so I think everything is gonna be ok with them.

On to the pics(hopefully I get the code right)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ok there we have it. Pics aren't great but I'm no photographer. Presently I would make a very uneducated guess that the brown chicks may be leghorns and the yellow chicks may be Buff Oringtons? Ok with that any educated attempts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wes

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    WELCOME!!

[​IMG]

First looks like a Light Brown Leghorn or a Speckled Sussex or a Wellsummer

I'm guessing LBLH.

Second could be a White Leghorn or a White Rock.

3. Lord_Vulcanizer

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Thanks, I did find a pic of the Wellsummer chicks. The brown chicks look just like the Wellsummer chick pics I saw. If that is the case it will grow into a nice looking bird. I dont know what LBLH is but I will look it up. Thanks again.

Wes

EDIT-- LOL LBLH==light brown leghorn, man I feel dumb [​IMG] oh well I got it now

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  4. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

The color of the brown chicks legs will help narrow it down a lot. Could also be an easter egger if it has greenish legs.
    There are so many yellow chicks that until it feathers in a bit more, it's really hard to even narrow it down.

But you're right, a post with pics is always a good intro [​IMG]

5. Lord_Vulcanizer

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    ahhh ok--leg color. They both got scrawny yellow bird legs [​IMG]

I'll take a few pics later as they prgress.

Thanks

Wes

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Hi Wes, [​IMG] What state are you in? There are several other "what kind of TSC chicks are these" threads on here. I got 4 yellow & 2 colored chicks from TSC that I'm trying to identify too. How old are your chicks? Best wishes to you!

7. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Okay, I am guessing the yellow ones are buff orps?

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    The second one is a Golden Sex-Link (aka Golden Comet).

9. Lord_Vulcanizer

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Ok I got these chicks from the TSC in Andalusia Alabama. I asked the folks who work there questions about the chicks and they basically told me all they know is the chicks came to them on a truck and they had no idea what kind they are or where they come from... seems like someone would know. Down here its fairly common for lil chicks to get sold right before Easter. Unfortunately for the chicks they are seen as Easter presents instead of helpless lil chicks who would love to live long enough to become a chicken. Anyway I'll let that go as it pisses me off to know what happens to most chicks in a place like that. I think it's more fair for them to grow up and at least become lunch...

But yea they both got yellow legs and they seem to be lively. Well all 18 of them. The yellow pullets were sold @2.49 each and the brown mixed run were @1.89 each. TSC required them being bought in groups of 6 and put them in lil boxes shaped up like lil coops. I was finally able to get the RI Reds I had originally wanted but not from them. Poultry seems to be demanding a premium right now. Kinda like the run on guns and ammo and gardening supplies. Well I got mine...

Thanks again for everyones suggestions. I'll get some better pics up soon. At least some folks will get to look at baby chick pictures. I for one enjoy looking at peoples pics [​IMG]

Wes

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by