I have a couple of d'uccle questions. Can someone help please?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jenfletcher, Jun 25, 2019.

1. jenfletcher

jenfletcher In the Brooder

Apr 25, 2019
    North Alabama
    I have been looking for d'uccle chicks. I finally found a lady that has some. These are the pics of the hen and roo. I am new to chickens and have no idea if I am looking at d'uccle. Do yall think these are? When I pick out chicks how will I have and idea of what they will look like. I have googled but it was no help. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    MROO likes this.
  2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

They look like D'uccle but the male is not to breed standard or at least not milli fleur.

I NEVER buy broody hatched chicks... to much possibility of disease. Are they offering incubator chicks?

Consider hatchery???

3. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Free Ranging

May 21, 2017
    The hen is a pure d'uccle, the rooster is a mix. D'uccles should be mottled.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I agree. Mine, not show quality, came originally from a hatchery. Purebreds, nice birds. Mixes are fine, but won't be if you really want to have purebreds.
    Look at feathersite, and some of the catalogs (Cackle has pictures). There's likely a breed club, with online access.
    I think your best chance to have healthy chicks is from a hatchery, especially if there's a place within driving distance.
    They come in several beautiful colors too!
    Mary

AmyJane725 and EggSighted4Life like this.
  5. jenfletcher

Apr 25, 2019
    North Alabama
    Pretty sure these are a broody hatch

6. jenfletcher

Apr 25, 2019
    North Alabama
    There are no hatcheries close to me :(
    Does anyone know what the minimums are at the different online hatcheries. Is it too hot to ship now?

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It helps to mention approximately where you live, and also try posting on your state thread for more choices.
    Mary

EggSighted4Life likes this.
  8. jenfletcher

Apr 25, 2019
    North Alabama
    I am in Northern Alabama, thanks for the tip!

9. blackoaktammy

blackoaktammy In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2019
    Millers, MD
    I got porcelain d'uccle chicks from Cackle a couple months ago. If you buy under 15 chicks, you have to pay an extra charge. This was my first time using Cackle, and I was really happy with them.

Willowspirit and EggSighted4Life like this.
  10. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Adding that to your profile will help others make the best suggestions possible at a glance. ;)

I've seen too many people end up with swollen eyes and sneezing. Bringing any respiratory issue to your place... that MAY not have presented yet at the other place or maybe not noticed. Something like Marek's will take AT LEAST 3 weeks after exposure before any symptoms appear.

My pet chicken... for just over $4!
    [​IMG]

Not ALL varieties of d'uccle will be mottled...
    http://www.belgianduccle.org/belgian-duccles.html

But I would not purchase from someone who wasn't breeding the same variety together, as I like pure. But we all have different thoughts. For whatever reason, I would avoid that seller. But curious... how did you find them and how much are they asking?

ETA: breeder list taken from that link... There are a couple in Alabama.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JIQItjj79jd7zZsvVvVZIabcpsk2reEAeoPAKu1pSkE/pubhtml

poisondartfrog likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: