I have a couple pick ups and my job to sell them/I need your advice.

arabianequine

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 4, 2010
What do you think they are worth? Why would someone want them? I get anything over what the guy is asking for them he wants $1200 on one and $1300 on the other. He says the diesel engine is worth $3000 pulled by it self. I have no idea but these mack's are in the $5000 range or more. I can't seem to find to many just like this one.

One is a......74 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed Dually, 350 motor, auto turbo 400 tranny.

The other is a........1985 Mack Truck Cabover Diesel, Box chassis, runs and drives.

They both have clear titles and need battery's.

Thank you!

53126_gmc.jpg

53126_mack.jpg

I would go $2000 for the GMC and about $1500 for the Mack. If you're selling on CL, raise the price $500 or so since most of your offers will be in that area. I'd go even less on the Mack since there's no body on it but if it runs good and the frame is pretty solid, then $1500 sounds pretty reasonable. Most of the older trucks you find here in WI are rusted junk but if these are mostly rust-free you should get good prices for them.

Thats a nice looking GMC. Unfortunately they have it priced at the high end of what its worth. (here anyway) Dont see you making any on it yourself.

The Mack may be worth a bit more but it will be harder to sell for what its worth. The market is way smaller on cabovers.

I agree with the rebelcowboy...the one ton is already priced at
the far end of the stick for my area. But it does look like a nice
solid truck in the pictures.

The little Mack is pretty much a boat achor as trucks go. Just not
much of a market here for one. Cut one like that up for scrap a year
or two ago. Paid quite well.

But I agree...I don't see much profit for you in the deal. List them
and see. You've nothing to lose.

I was offered $500 on the Mack. Probably not even scrap price. I had a guy interested in the GMC and my ad says make me your best offer and he wants us to call him back when we know what we want for it. No one can seem to make offers these days and if they do it is not rational
roll.png

The mack should scrap for over $500. Scrap here is at least $10 for every 100#. That truck should weigh well over 5K#.

As for the ad, most respectable people wont price another mans property. If you give a price they will chose if they think it is worth it an work with you from there, if you give no price they will just keep looking. No price/best offer ads push away real buyers an attract only people wanting something for nothing.

Quote:
Yeah I understand that but I have no idea their value either so I don't want to underprice or over price and then some won't bother either.

Quote:
Yeah I understand that but I have no idea their value either so I don't want to underprice or over price and then some won't bother either.

I did a similar thing last year when I put an ad in the paper to have someone move and stack a few cords of wood for me. I genuinely did not know "the going rate" for a job like that, so every time someone said "how much do you want to pay" I would insist that I have no clue and that they should give me an idea of what they think the job is worth. I then took everyone's offers and got a ball park fair price out of that. If they are serious, they WILL make an offer if forced to. My father always taught me "Never offer the first number". It can be a bit of a game when other people are thinking the same thing, but if they're really interested, they'll break down and throw a number out there. Incidentally, I do agree with others that these seem pretty much on the high end already, so I'm not sure how much room you'll have to profit. Incidentally, scrap vehicle rates around here have gone WAY up. I remember my dad used to junk cars for $100 bucks, and now they are paying MUCH more than that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom