I have a couple random chicks can anyone tell me the breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OneWildRoo, Jan 13, 2015.

1. OneWildRoo

OneWildRoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    The coloring looks similar to the barred plymouth rock (or any other barred chicken) But honestly unless you know what the parents are it's really difficult to tell for sure.

3. OneWildRoo

OneWildRoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2014
    Thank you and it does look similar, I have been guessing a blue Orpington possible a black australorp or a araucana but I'm really not sure and I have 14 other unknowns

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Top one looks like a Black Australorp...not a barred anything as no white head dot...not a BSL as white on tummy....so my best guess is Black Australorp. Unless it has yellow on its foot pads...then it might be a Jersey Giant. It could be a Black Orpington...but not a Blue one.

Bottom one...hmmm...Barred Rock most likely. Not likely a Blue anything as to dark.

Do they appear to be rumpless (tail less)? If Araucana, there is no tail base. (I wish I could remember how one BYC member explained it, but you can actually feel the tail area and feel the difference if the Araucana is rumpless)....I've never had a rumpless bird so unfortunately I can't speak from experience with that.

Post again in a few weeks when they've feathered in better....maybe around 10 to 12 weeks...not the 4 to 6 week half feather/half down...so many birds don't look like themselves at that point...neither chick down (which is telling) nor adult feather.

Lady of McCamley

EDITED after a closer look

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would guess Black Australorp (the mostly black ones) and Barred Plymouth Rock (the ones with the white on the top of their heads). However, many breeds look similar as chicks, and we may have a better idea of breed as your chicks mature.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by