i have a crazy chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wanttobefarmer, Jun 19, 2010.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    This week i got my first egg from my EE nell She gave me my third today. I seem to get one every other day starting on tue. I got my first brown egg today (I'm assumming from my black sex link as she has the biggest comb and wattle.) I put them all out on grass today and my red sex link kept pacing the fence by the coop, and she got out 3 times to get behing the coop. So i thought maybe she wants to lay her first egg and wants to be in the coop. I put her back in the coop and she went straight to the nesting box got in and laid down. she got out walks all around the coop and the run looking for a place to lay down I'm assumming to lay an egg. This has been going on for about 4 hours. Do you think since it is her first time that she is nervous or maybe the original brown egg was hers and she's looking for it? Any way she is very aggitated. Is this normal?

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I don't know,, it sounds strange and I've never seen mine act like that and they are all fruitcakes!

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    My girls are in and out of the nest box and sometimes there is an egg, and sometimes there is not. I think if there is an egg moving down, they start to feel that urge, but if they sit down and get distracted by something, they get up and move around again. It could be totally normal.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I agree with Dora's mom, I was down at the coop most of the morning, moving a compost pile, and setting up a section in the run for my baby chicks that is tight enough to keep the babies where I want them, grr;), but I digress, Butter got in,,,,, got out..... sang the song.....got out, got in... I finally told her, go lay the darn thing! I broke for lunch, and she got it done.

I question what you meant when you said that you were free ranging them, and had to let them back into the coop? Hens don't just lay in the morning. If you turn them out, they have to be able to get to the nests when the urge hits them, or you are going to have them building a nest outside, which sometimes can be the very devil to find. (I just found one, and they could get back to their nest![​IMG]
    MrsK

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  5. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Well i had already gotten an egg from my EE and from my black sex link this morning and my red sex link i didn't think was quite ready to start laying yet as she has just really started to grow her comb and wattle so i thought i wasn't expecting any more eggs for the day or if i did i'd just check the area where i had them on grass. Then when she started acting bizzar i though well maybe she wants to do it in the coop where things are familiar. It would have been her first egg
    Mrs. K :

I agree with Dora's mom, I was down at the coop most of the morning, moving a compost pile, and setting up a section in the run for my baby chicks that is tight enough to keep the babies where I want them, grr;), but I digress, Butter got in,,,,, got out..... sang the song.....got out, got in... I finally told her, go lay the darn thing! I broke for lunch, and she got it done.

I question what you meant when you said that you were free ranging them, and had to let them back into the coop? Hens don't just lay in the morning. If you turn them out, they have to be able to get to the nests when the urge hits them, or you are going to have them building a nest outside, which sometimes can be the very devil to find. (I just found one, and they could get back to their nest![​IMG]
    MrsK​

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I recommend putting a wooden egg in each nest box. One it may deter egg eating as they may think all eggs hurt to peck LOL and B. it gives them a idea what to do where. It's all instinct. I have put the newbies in the nest with the wooden egg a few times just to give her some idea.

I have a nest box directly on the floor with no wooden egg and no one seems to want to lay an egg there. I put it there for a broody mom but she didn't want it and I just haven't taken it out yet.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by