i have a cross question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NarutoTn, May 23, 2010.

1. NarutoTn

NarutoTn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Dyersburg
    i have a chick whos parents are:mother-bantam minorca and jap cross and father-bantam bb red aand cochin cross......the chicks look like cochins that are black and have long tails and white ear lobs

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    So, what's your question?

3. NarutoTn

Jun 18, 2009
    Dyersburg
    what would you call the cross

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:LOL - a mutt. But seriously, with all of the breeds in them, there is not really a name you could give them.

5. NarutoTn

Jun 18, 2009
    Dyersburg
    oh ok...bbr+cochin +minorca+jap ??????=minoraca-japanesse-bbr cochin i guess....i ask this because they are chicks and i could start a breeding pair

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Heinz 57 chicks.

They won't breed true. at most 50% of chicks from the cross of current chicks would look like their parents.

7. NarutoTn

Jun 18, 2009
    Dyersburg
    o ok i understand but they are cute chicks

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    You will never get a breed from a cross like this, a lot of people think it because so many breeds are crosses but the difference is this- those breeds had a purpose. Those breeds have been selected for years and had real effort put into them to make them what they are, and even if you used to same birds you would not have that breed. You would have the same genetics in a way, but it will be different due to a different selection process. The only way I could really see it happening is if you paid very close attention to the breed, and maybe even followed notes from the original creator.

-Daniel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by